Cheap seasoning?

I just got my bullet. I was surprised to learn that you have to spend 1,5 kg green beans just to get off the ground, I had no idea about that. 1,5kg is quite a lot imo, and I only have premium coffee green beans that I don’t want to waste on throwing in the trash. I also don’t know where I’d buy cheap beans, my normal retailer only sells good stuff.

Is there any other way to season? Could I use some other type food bean? Could I use pre-roasted store-bought cheap beans?

edit: Maybe roasting chick peas (aka garbanzo beans)? Lots of people are roasting these in regular ovens.

I had read the manual while waiting for my Bullet to ship, so ordered some of the cheapest beans I could find, from Burman’s…they were a “special” at $3.99/pound IIRC…I didn’t think spending $20 on seasoning was too much on a $2,700 roaster.

By the way, I ordered an extra pound of that $3.99 coffee, and roasted it later and it was pretty good. I buy most of my coffee from Sweet Maria’s but occasionally get some very fine coffees from Burmans.

Enjoy your new roaster!

1 Like

Thanks unfortunately im in Denmark so no Burman’s or similar here. All shops selling green coffee beans are specialty coffee stores.

I wondered if you were outside the US.

Have you looked at the RoastWorld site, where your coffee inventory and profiles will be housed? There are a number of coffee vendors shown there, maybe some of them are located where you can order.

1 Like

Unless the “premium” coffee beans in your inventory are wildly expensive (aka Kopi Luwak), just “bite the bullet” and sacrifice some beans to the drum-gods. :coffin: Sweet Marias and other on-line green sellers offer inexpensive packs for as little as $5/lb. But shipping to Denmark could add another $60 to that reasonable bean cost.

Seasoning is a one-time thing, so consider it part of a drum roaster investment. You should use unroasted, green coffee beans as your seasoning object. Those seasoning roasts are purposely to the dark-side because it produces more heat and coffee oil to coat the drum.

Having seasoned several drums over the years, I went with (5) seasoning roasts. Whether you source a drum from within a product or build one from scratch, the metal will have manufacturing residue on it of some type. The Bullet manual says do at least “3” seasonings from a “food safety” perspective. You will find that people who season drums in larger roasters will typically go with doing (5) as did Tom at Sweet Marias.

5 Likes

Yeah thanks for the help, I’ve resigned to using some of my good coffee on it. It’s hard to part with, but I reason I can buy a few extra bags next round. I will do 3 rounds for the trash and taste the 4th and 5th.

Call a local roaster and ask for sample beans. A local roaster gave me 6lb of mixed samples.

2 Likes

We have very cheap green coffee in China… just only 2.5$/KG,Very good for season use…and just can only use for season…or practice roastin

1 Like

I have some “dead” beans I plan to use… I had forgotten about these beans that were in a box in my basement behind my wine! They are at least 4+ yrs old … I almost threw them out but kept them knowing I might need them to play with on a Bullet one day :slight_smile: My Bullet from Sweet Maria’s hopefully should arrive at the end of this week.

1 Like

Happened to notice Theta Ridge offers inexpensive seasoning greens:

At $1/lb that’s not bad!

Bruce

Hi Dank Dane, you can ask a local roaster for mixed samples of green beans. Roasters receive samples all the time and might want to get rid of some.

I asked a roaster and they gave me a mountain of green beans for seasoning the machine.

The only problem was the beans were too good for seasoning! But after about 2-3KG you can start enjoying them :slight_smile: