Just installed IBT sensor kit - yay!

I installed the IBTS today. I am about the World’s Unhandiest Man, have broken sturdy things more or less just by looking at them and this was kind of a trial, but I have just completed my first roast and it looks really, really good.

The instructions didn’t mention (or I missed) that you have to take off the plastic part that links the PCB with the front plate. I struggled for a while to get the rubber gasket on before realizing that if by a miracle I succeeded, I’d still have to take the plastic part off to get the IBTS on.

Ack.

I was also holding the front plate backwards for a little while; life got a lot better when I turned it over. The photo clearly showed the smooth side; it took some time to register.

Then it took me a while and a YouTube video to figure out how to take the sensor wires out of the six-wire connector and put them in the smaller one and the wires positively do not simply snap in to the new connector but after I pushed really hard and swore at them a little they found their way in.

And then the old bean probe connector cable fell off and I didn’t reconnect it; I’ll have to look up where it goes and reinstall it next time I clean. And I found I have two long screws that I didn’t use, probably they go in the part that connects the PCB to the front plate. Everything seems secure, though.

I ran 605 grams of Java Sunda Gunung Jaladin from a 245C preheat, taking 14:14 to get to 230C, the first snaps of second crack, which is what I like for espresso. This is almost identical to the temperature at which I would cool my roasts when I was using my Quest M3, about 20 degrees higher than the old Bullet sensor would measure.

So, I know I need to go back in and clean up a little bit of a mess, but I think the coffee’s going to be great and I have a probably inordinate sense of pride in my accomplishment.

Someday I may tell you about how I once mangled changing a Halogen light bulb …

2 Likes

I see no reference to “475” at all. The instructions you linked to talk of “beta”. And even show nice pictures selecting beta FW.

Members and support often advise to use FW 475 in this forum, but it is not in the instructions nor manuals, even though everyone says “go read the manual”.

1 Like

Hey, had this issue too, just open RoasTime 2.0.8 or higher (I have 2.2.0) and click on the ‘tools’ menu on top, then ‘update firmware’ item. It should have a check button on that window and after you check it will offer either a ‘stable’ or ‘beta’ which I think are 448 and 475. Something higher than 448 is required for IBTS.

Note, after it installs the firmware you have to reboot the roaster (both power and usb cable) and the panel will show rES while its updating the IBTS (if you have it) then you have to reboot again.

Now your roaster is on 475.

Hope that helps.

How to take out the the wires out of the six-wire connector is clearly to see in the manual. However, putting the (3) wires back into the four-wire connector was not clearly described. There is only one proper way to have the wire clicked into the connector. If you put it in in the wrong way, it will not click and also make no connection. This should be better explained in the manual.