NEW / playing with SOAK/also how bad does this profile look?

hey there!

So i was reading about soaking beans in a preheated drum. So i said heck and lets try it out! I did 1 min at P0 and then went up heat gradually. My profile looks a little weird but the beans came out pretty and they smeel decent.

So any of you have pointers for soaking beans? Also honestly how bad is this profile? thank you for the help

Go here to see what @quartzglen says in his thread about heat soak. But read all his later posts as well because some of the info seems to be restated and to my mind instructs differently. I dragged out the initial soak too long compared to his later examples. I think I took some of his info too literally.

All that said I found his insight very helpful and have followed that path for about 4 yrs now. I roast dark and have been happy with what I’m getting, but that’s not to say it doesn’t work for light roasts as well… I just stopped roasting beans that do best with a light roast. And that’s the bottom line: if you like the results it doesn’t much matter what experts might say.

Apparently @quartzglen hasn’t been around since he posted the heat soak thread so you won’t be able to quiz him about it. But I found his info sufficiently helpful to continue pursuing it without much deviation from my earliest interpretation.

My opinion about roast profile doesn’t much matter… I roast so much darker I can’t relate to a roast that is dropped at 402°F. What is important is: How does it cup? That’s what matters! Conceptually (low power at the start; add power gradually after you charge the drum) it looks like you have all the right elements. I start at P4; pre-heat soak I started at P7 or P8. I also limit Preheat temp to 401/410/419. All my batches are 550 gm which yields about 1 lb.

Bruce

1 Like

And do a search for him on your dashboard. The actual roasts may be more helpful than the words.

And btw, @quartzglen has a V1 Bullet.

Me

1 Like

right on thanks Bruce for the input! Its cupping OK this morning but again I am hard on myself. But hey joy in the process. Cheers to good health and great coffee!

Ah-hah! Another Arizonan. We’re shivering down in Benson. And the promised rain just started!!

Me