Share your best average roast curve

Hi,

Just curious what roast curve seems to work the best for you on most coffees? The type of roast approach you might take when you are first roasting a new coffee?

I can’t seem to figure out a tasty basic roast, and whenever i do get a good roast it seems like a surprise. I’ve gone through so much wasted coffee, and sometimes it tastes good, but i try the recipe again and it doesn’t, so just curious what general curves have seemed to work more consistently? Thanks :slight_smile:

Filter Roast

2 Likes

Shows your ambient/room temp is approx 68F, would you say that is accurate?

• place holder for reposting recipes -

@jpndemir
350g recipe
Charge temp 185C and up depending on the bean
15C room temp or higher

• place holder 2 for roast recipes

place holder 3 for roast recipes

Yes it is.

1 Like

What are the results you are aiming for? i’ll try it out and share what i end up with in a cupping.

You use this across origins, or do you stick to a specific region?

2 Likes

imho the curve fits perfect for that specific coffee. its a kenyan Sl28+Sl34 from Nyeri. I use the curve as a reference for other Kenyan coffees and as a reference for new coffees i’d like to roast as filter too.

This is the best result I have reached in this particular beans:

3 Likes

That’s a really interesting approach…pump lots of heat into the bean mass and then all of the development happens while coasting at P0 F8.

I’d have thought the beans would start cooling with all that airflow, but the chart tells a different story.

1 Like

Hello John,

Yes, Usually I aim for a bright fruity notes with considerable body D-Temp is around 10 degrees C, 14% DTR (Development Time Ratio).

1 Like

Bright and fruity with body seems like the holy grail.

How are you calling yellow?

Btw, the roast.world data on your roast looks a little weird.

showing some crazy temps that are not reflected in the roast curve.

See screenshot:

Normally, holds green raw beans in my hands, and compare it with the beans undergoing roast processing. I use LED white lamp, it helps see the true color of the beans.

In seeing the true color under a white Led, do you call when all beans are yellow, or when a few turn yellow, or when it’s a 50/50 mix? When they’re all mostly yellow? When they become whiter, but not quite yellow? Do you know your average yellowing temp and go by that, as ling as the beans are doing their thing?

1 Like

I charge the beans on a very high temp 240 C Bean Temp (464 F). But the beans I am roasting are Ethiopians, they are high density, they can take all that energy.

1 Like

that is quite some density to take in all that heat. Not only that, are you enjoying bean probe temp as a milestone marker over IBTS? Does that cause you to have different mile stones for different sized batches? In theory, bean probes should be a better indicator of where the beans have been temp wise.

1 Like

Hello Jimmy,

Yes, I prefer depending on the Bean Temp over the IBTS. IBTS reads the surface of the bans, while the bean reads overall temp, thats why when the roast get close to the exothermic phase, Bean Temp start raise above the the IBTS. in my opinion, Bean Temp is more reliable than the IBTS. and I am relaying on it for more consistency.

2 Likes

Rob Hoos has mentioned cautious optimism with IBTS, and can see that in your observations, as well. I’ve seen the bean probe drift from the IBTS, so it can be difficult to rely on IBTS alone, however, regardless of batch size the IBTS seems to hit yellowing and FC more reliably. At least 500g and under. i’ve not messed around with >800G + much.

I’ll give these two approaches a go this week and reply with cupping or brewing impressions. What’s you typical brew? espresso? pour over? moccamaster?

2 Likes