Share your best average roast curve

I’ll add personal roasting sidenote. Yes, I like the more conventional approach and thinking, but two days ago, I attempted a 2lbs (900g) batch, and as maybe a couple of you know, the 120v machines don’t like P9, except in very moderate or cool environments. So, I think this batch failed maybe 3 times throughout the roast, making for a weird trajectory…. And yet, brewed it up this morning, and it is really really nice. Not my best, and not something I’ll recommend, but I enjoy it. Sort of a silky molasses, and very laid back neutral almost non existent chocolate power accent. Flavor got reduced, but the texture is really viscous. And just zero acidity or bitterness, despite having low flavor overall. Now I can taste where I needed more of this or that, but I guess to reiterate, that a good cup is a pretty wide spectrum, and I really am enjoying sipping on this specific roast of coffee, because it is a rainy day, and it just fits the day so well! I’ll try to reverse engineer what went on and share later, but at the same time, it wasn’t anything to copy, as it was kind if extremely specific to my setup and these beans, which these beans seem to be able to handle low fan and underpowered roasts really well.

I like the Andrew Coe curve and recipe too. Was most surprised by him using F5 for the duration of the roast. I am trying this next.

1 Like

The roast on Münchow’s Coffee Mind course, which is free for bullet users, uses F5 throughout the roast. Just don’t forget to adjust your PH and power settings to compensate for the change.

1 Like

Hmmm. I never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out. Will certainly try that sometime.

Yeah, I’ve been messing around with that Coe and Munchen style, and it definitely requires adapting to understanding the why’s, because an arbitrary similar curve and specs didn’t quite work for me. I like it, but i was working with Central American coffee. I did one Ethiopian natural, and will cup tomorrow, so we can discuss it.

How has been your experience with trying out the “coffee mind” approach?

So, the Ethiopian Natural works with Coe/Munchow coffee mind approach.

Brewed it up today and it was pretty nice. I’d call I a win.

Thanks Jimmy, I have been experimenting with that too mainly with Ethiopian beans and seem to be heading in the right direction.

Are you working with naturals, or washed?

I have the feeling that the Bullet likes naturals more than washed.

Both, I am roasting Yirgacheffe washed and Sidamo natural.

Is one working better than the other?

I think about the same for both. I am sure I am the limiting factor here rather than the bullet. Still learning :slight_smile:

Well, at the end of the day, we are always the limiting factor, but I am not you, and no one is you, so that doesn’t really help us. Haha. So, no need to talk about your lack of experience, but more important to talk about your experience. Or maybe I’m just stupid.

Anyway, I have no foundational reason to believe this roast is good, but I slowed down a variation of Andrew COE’s roast, and curious if it works for you or someone else on Central American coffee.

SlowCoe.zip (11.9 KB)

Unzip it and place it in your “roasts” folder and it should show up as a roast you can overlay.

I guess I am getting less scorching than I used to with naturals which is improving cup taste. With washed, I am getting a bit more aromatic taste notes but very mild and still far from my target or my expectations. Could be the beans I am using there so not sure if it is my roasting or the beans I am using

I personally find washed coffees more difficult to roast on the bullet. Naturals don’t need much to have a wow factor.

1 Like