Tips on how to eliminate the roasty, bitter smell/flavour from these roasts?

YW. I have used the recipe creator a couple times recently to save modified versions of that posted.

Let us know your results with the recipe from Hoos.

@brian.mchenry.bmrul1
Thanks for the tip! I either had something stuck somewhere in the roaster or I must have stored some of the beans in less than ideal conditions as I have not had any more smell/taste related problems since I cleaned the machine and switched beans.

I have also switched to hybrid Morten Munchow(CoffeeMind) roast approcach which has been giving me great results so far.

Cheers!

1 Like

Is there a bullet point/synopsis of this approach somewhere? His course introduction wore me out

There’s a little bit in this discussion:

Basically:

• Characterize your roaster by working out what heat setting you need to get a full-sized batch to 2C in 7 min 30 sec. If the roaster can’t do that, reduce batch size until it can. If the batch gets to 2C in less time, try again with a lower heat setting until you’ve dialed it in. You could go through a lot of coffee in this process, but as long as you get in the neighborhood of this, there’s not really much reason to. The idea is to understand the limit of your roaster’s performance envelope.
  • From the characterization profile, develop a baseline profile that finishes at 12 min, at the midpoint between 1C and 2C (or better, AGS 75). The heat profile consists of an initial heat setting, a first heat reduction near the end of drying to delay FC onset to 9 minutes, and a second heat reduction a little before FC (~195C) to extend development to 3 minutes.
  • From there you modulate flavor by changing your reductions to change amount of development time and the end temperature. His theory is that the degree of roast (determined by reaction rates which are affected by both development time and end temperature) accounts for roughly 80% of the effect on flavor, and development time accounts for roughly 15%.

Thank you.

Basically he’s advocating for a flatter roast profile with 25% development. I’ll give it a whirl but IME that usually results in flat, baked results. Maybe effective with coffee’s that are too bright and need that tamed.

There’s been a formula discussed elsewhere where the temp change from 1C to drop is divided by the time in seconds. I usually had the best results in my Huky with something in the 7% to 11% range.

@brian.mchenry.bmrul1
I’ve kind of started using the Munchow approach… kind of.
I tried a few roasts with only 2 power changes with the drum and fan static. First change being around yellowing and second before FC. Although I am not constantly going for 3min development I have been getting good results so the approach seems to be pretty good.

2 Likes

I’m not making many heat adjustments any more either. After yellow and 15 degrees before 1st.

Munchie and Hoos’ sample method sound somewhat similar but with a shorter development and overall roast

1 Like