What’s the hottest room temperature you can roast P9 at?

Hi Jimmy,
Haven’t had this error.
I live north of Sydney Australia and we have plenty of days over 90f.
I roast in a cooler shaded room ,about 28c but face the exhaust outside through a door so the room doesn’t heat up.
I roast 800 g as my standard roast and only need the top heat for 2-3 minutes.
Highest sensor temp is about 62 c.
I used to notice major differences with roast profile from summer to winter when I used a hot top but haven’t seen this with the Bullet.
Enjoyed the discussion and ideas.

800g + batches are more stable.

But I run into either weak or scorched flavors. With a lower fan, chaff build up and steam are an issue. And with a higher fan, things clean up, but flavor is fairly tame, and tastes a bit raw.

Just seems to be an issue across the board. With smaller 225g batches, the fan doesn’t have to be so high, so occasionally one of those smaller light roasted batches are nice, but they are temperamental, so no two batches end up the same, even if the curve looks spot on.

The error was fixed by a firmware upgrade for me. Now my IGBT1 sensor doesn’t error until 100C. As long as I have a fan on the under side of the roaster, I don’t get the error. This has made an improvement on being able to roast, as I now have access to P8 and P9. However, I’m still navigating the larger batch sizes.

I can get nice flavors, but they are weak, and often accompanied by graham or paper. Shortening the development time to 2min doesn’t help entirely. Just tastes less developed and papery, as opposed to developed and papery. So, at least there is a bit more acidity and sparkle, but does not brew well.

I’ve bought nice beans, and those become more drinkable, but only by virtue of the bean, as the roast is still not exemplary. Still lower flavor and either crazy or darker and flavorless. If I push it harder into dev, I just kill the sweetness and acidity, but if I hold back, I get grass and paper. On nicer beans, they are more forgiving to the roast, and have a way of tasting nice regardless of the roast style, but it still feels like a waste of $15/lbs green.

I just had a thought about wether there are differences in p9 etc between 110 or 240 volt versions ?

Yes, there are.

I’ve had tech support tell me there isn’t and some tech support tell me there is.

But you notice when Aillio team introduces a recipe or roasting approach, they note to adjust for 240 vs 120v

120v does still push through the tiny 1Kg batch easily enough, but the electronics are likely running a little more strained in a way?

I wonder if a warmer room causes the 120v electronics to run less efficiently?

1 Like

Running into this issue with 0004 after upping batch sizes from 750g to 1kg trying to do back to back in a 65 deg F kitchen. Got 3 1kg roasts before 0004 shut me down and wouldn’t stop until I put the roaster on cool down.

Monitor the IGBT1 reading in the info panel (see the screen shot in one of the posts above), and make sure your RT software is running the latest version. When you roast 1kg batches things get hot. I (as well as many others) use a fan of some sort to move the air under the roaster to keep things cooler so that the IGBT1 reading doesn’t go red.

You can also increase F setting to cool things down a bit.

I have successfully roasted 6kg back to back at ambient 67F temp in my kitchen.

2 Likes

Cool, thank you @blacklabs , that tracks with the info support sent me.
I’m now updating to the beta 610 version and will need to go grab a little fan somewhere; support also mentioned in conclusion “That said, maintaining the exhausting airflow is the ultimate solution,” so I think I also needed to empty the chaff collector after that third roast - after 3 roasts the chaff collector was about half full so that seems like a reasonable time to empty it to clear the airway.

I do it after every 2 roasts - I just use a crevice tool of my vac to get as much out as possible with out opening it up.

1 Like