A new and interactive way to share your roast profiles on the community (or your own website)!

Hey Everyone,

I would like to share one of the latest features we’ve released on Roast World. This feature allows you to embed an interactive roast profile’s graph anywhere on the web (that accepts custom embeds). For example, on our very own community site, you can now embed any of your roast profiles to share to other roasters!

I don’t have any roasts link to my account so I borrowed one (chosen at random) from our Engineering account to showcase this new feature:

Here’s how you can do this too.

1. Visit a roast profile from your account that you would like to share.

2. Click the Actions button to reveal a list of actions you can perform and click the Embed option:

3. Copy the embed script and paste it anywhere that accepts embeds and iframes. Tip: choose the Roast World Community option to the optional size for the community website

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best regards,
Derrick

9 Likes

Nice work Derrick. I noticed that if you are posting on a Dark Themed site, the font is dark grey on black, hard to see.

1 Like

Hey @ryweller,

Thanks for the info. I think I should be able to fix this.

not working

Derrick:
I use WordPress for my website, do you have any suggestions on how to embed in a post using this feature?
Looks great.
Gil

1 Like

Hey @gdegde481.i9qy,

Sorry, this was my fault as I forgot to update the community website to allow embeds from roast.world. Originally, this was a share.roast.world link. You should be able to see the embeds now.

Note, you shouldn’t wrap them in the ``` or this will cause the embeds not to show.

Derrick

2 Likes

Hey @gilbertwilliamson.db,

Thanks for following up. I’m not very familiar with Wordpress. But from what I understand this may be dependent on your theme. If your theme allows adding custom HTML elements, you should be able to simply past the link <iframe> Roast.World generates for you.

Thanks,
Derrick

Custom HTML Block – WordPress.com Support

I use both Elementor and WordPress. While on Elementor you have a widget to insert, which is </> HTML, and paste your code, here there are a couple more steps as described in the link above. Once you click on the + icon and add <> code, you can copy the embed link from Roast.World and paste it there. Make sure to click on the <> icon, just above the text box, and select Custom HTML before pasting. If you paste and then change to Custom HTML, some characters will change and you’ll have to copy and paste again.

Here is the first post on http://gilwilliamson.com/ It would be nice if you didn’t have to click on the link from an aesthetic point of view, but it gets the job done to share roasts and roast results.
Gil

1 Like

I don’t know why. I’ve tested it on mine, although I haven’t finished building it, so you can’t really see it, just the coming soon page, and it works flawlessly. Once I put in the embed code into the custom HTML block, the image with all the functions appears on my site.

Hmmmm?
Gil

Hey @gilbertwilliamson.db, I think in your case you added the link itself. Whereas to see the embed, you need to enclose it in an iframe. Something along the lines of this:

<iframe 
src="https://roast.world/profiles/VTJGc2RHVmtYMTgyQWNicGRCYkNpVk1GbFUyUWI4MS85Q25sU0V6ajlKWDRxSzVoMEY1NVBHWEYrZlIwSEtEWg?size=large"
title="Geisha #3"
frameborder="0"
sandbox="allow-scripts allow-same-origin"
allowfullscreen
width="640"
loading="lazy"
height="480" ></iframe>

If done correctly, you should see a preview on your site like this:

1 Like

Derrick:
Thanks for all the suggestions. WordPress works as you have described, but won’t publish whats previewed.
Gil

Hey @gilbertwilliamson.db,

If your blog is provided by wordpress.com, I don’t think you’re allowed to embed iframes (possibly due to security reasons). You may need to contact your hosting provider to see how or if this can be enabled.

On this community site as well, we had to explicitly allow iframes from the roast.worlddomain.

Derrick

1 Like

Thanks, I never would’ve known that as my hosting provider obviously provides the service. I thought a WordPress editor has the same functions everywhere.

Have you checked out articles like How to Embed iFrame Code in WordPress [2024] | Nexcess?

John:
Thank you, that sounds like a good solution.
Gil

I’d like to see a better way to publicly share a roast profile without expecting HTML rendering. Just a link. The “share” URL is next to useless as it requires login. The embed page is exactly what I’d like to be sharing out, but I have to extract the URL out of that blob, and the textfield has some kind of “select all text” override that makes that impossible.

What if the Share button just provided the URL in this embed? Ideally, let it grow to whatever the window size is. And, if the user wants to see it in roast.world for sharing/other things that require login, put a link somewhere in there, i.e. “view on roast.world”.

I continue to see screenshots as the primary method for sharing these out and I believe the friction here is a significant contributor.