After preheating and hitting the target, does not go in automatic charge, or announce "charging"

I am a newbie so I don’t know how to set it so it will go into automatic charge after hitting preheat target

It takes about 10 minutes after it reaches the Pre-heat temp before it will prompt you to add the beans.

1 Like

What @billc said.

There are multiple criteria for being ready to charge the drum- you have to hit the Preheat setting and Bean Temp has to be stable (no more then a certain drift in B-Temp in a minute; sorry… I forget the number). There may be additional criteria but that’s what I recall as certain.

The inductive heating system does a good job getting the drum to temp quickly. But the thermal path from the drum to the front plate where the Bean Probe is mounted is heated mostly by radiant heat from the drum. Plus, after the drum is charged, the front plate gets heated by conduction from the roasting beans contacting the front plate. So if you do multiple roasts, the 2nd roast and later roasts will have different time components for the same power, fan and drum settings. One roaster here ( @quartzglenn ) recommended getting old beans for cheap from a local source but here in little old Benson, Arizona that would be me and I don’t have any! So as an alternate I do an extended preheat and let the bean probe creep up as high as I can get it. Doesn’t fix the problem but it helps. The first roast gets to dwell at Charge for around 45 minutes.

Bruce

How long will the R1 remain preheated without user input? Other than it announcing “Charge!” every minute or so-- can I really leave it in that state for 45 minutes?

The Aillio team might be able to answer whether there is a limit, but yes, you can let your roaster run fully preheated for 45 minutes.

I’m sure you know this but it bears repeating: leaving it unattended during that time is inadvisable.

1 Like

You have 60 minutes as I recall. Yes, you can wait 45 min and it will continue with that audio announcement until you add the greens.

Bruce

1 Like

The new stable 605 firmware runs to target preheat and will not readily say “charge” as the earlier 591 firmware did.That’s ok because when you do put the beans in, its starts the roast automatically. Prior to that ,it would not .You had to wait for the “charge” announcement…
Likely they made it so roasters could start whenever they wanted after target preheat (ie.longer for tempering), Roasters are not limited to when it automatically went into charge mode. I like it. Accommodates everyone.