Anaerobic \ Experimental Bean Suppliers

I primarily source beans from Sweet Maria’s but they rarely carry any anaerobic \ experimental greens. Where do you guys source those from? I’m looking to get into roasting them for my personal consumption. I love the wild.

I am not associated with any of these bean suppliers and receive no compensation from them:

Dave from Captain’s Coffee is really into Anaerobic fermentations
He currently has 7 listed on his website.

Jared from Hacea Coffee Source is another source for Anaerobic and other experimental beans. Located in Southern CA

Burman Coffee Traders has half a dozen or so Anaerobic beans listed for sale.
https://burmancoffee.com/?s=anaerobic&submit=Search&product_cat=5113
One of my favorite beans from them is their:

It is a very fruity bean. I believe that I have over 20 pounds in my inventory.

Manos Juntas in Spanish translates to: “Hands Together” they are a Co-Op. Makes sense.

Bohdi Leaf in Southern CA carries a few Anaerobic beans. Their search comes back with 17 results, but they aren’t all anaerobic.

Search: 17 results found for "Anaerobic" - Bodhi Leaf Coffee Traders*

There is a bean from Happy Mug that I really like.

This Sumatra Gayo Lues Natural is one of the fruitest coffees that I have bought and roasted. It is almost too much to drink as a single origin.

BUT

As a blend component it is awesome.
One of my basic blends is 7 parts of a good Colombian roasted to Full City (415F to 420F)
Then 1.5 parts of a Guatemala Huehue to Full City+ (425F to 435F) to bring out the Baker’s chocolate.
Then 1.5 parts of the Sumatran Natural roasted to City+ (407F)

I have ~30 pounds of the Sumatran Gayo Natural in my inventory.

Edit: When I open the trash bin after I’ve thrown spent ground into it, I can really smell the fruitiness.

2 Likes

Thanks for a thorough reply as always Bill :beers:

I’m familiar with many of these suppliers even though I have only ever purchased from HappyMug. I appreciate the firsthand experience with the beans as that’s what I was wondering - who has purhcased and roasted from where.

A bit more:

Another Green Bean that I really like is from Sweet Maria’s:
Ethiopia, Dry Process, Guji Buku. SM is giving it a cupping score of 92.3.

Beans that cup over 90 are rare. (for those of you who don’t know, the cupping score is like a Wine Spectator rating. BUT: Just because it has a high cupping score, doesn’t mean that you will like it. “The best coffee is the one that YOU like” )

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dry-process-guji-buku-8002.html

As far as Fruity Ethiopians go, three years ago, it was the Shantawene (not necessarily from Sweet Maria’s) Last year it was the Bombe. This year I am liking the Guji Buku with the Benti Nenka a close second. ( I still have plenty of the Bombe on hand )
I gave my neighbor, who is not a coffee geek, a selection of about 5 roasts that I was dialing in. He and his wife picked out the Benti Nenka as the best by far. (the Guji Buku hadn’t become available yet)

I am working on a blend with Guji Buku and SM’s Ethiopiques blend. The Ethiopiques blend is mostly chocolate and body.

The Sumatra Gayo Lues Natural that I mentioned above has a strong strawberry note on the nose, even when just smelling the beans before roasting.

2 Likes