Average RoR in RT

That would be awesome.

I think the RoR curve would be more readable if it were smoothed a bit (maybe 5-10 second averaging?).

I think average rate of rise is more or less useless, because you need information about SPECIFIC time dependent moments; charge, first crack, etc. I have found that the most important number is at the beginning. What is your maximum RoR after charge? If you can keep that high enough, without scorching, then you can control the roast from there, much more effectively. Makes sense, no?

And of course, that maximum is controlled by pre-heat temperature.

If it was useless, then why does every other roasting software have it? (Artisan, Cropster, etc)

I personally find it useful, otherwise I wouldn’t have asked for it. Appreciate you sharing your opinion though.

1 Like

45%20PM

The RoR changes dramatically every few seconds. A curve that averages out the peaks and valleys a bit would be nice.

Not talking about a single average number, talking about a smoother RoR curve.

1 Like

Yes. The old version overlayed the average curve over the actual curve, and had adjustable interval settings to adjust the smoothness.

It’s easy to get a single number; that’s what an average is. So everyone states it. But imagine a 10 minute roast whose average is 10 degrees/minute. One roast could have a 20 degree/minute RoR for 5 minutes, and then shut down entirely for the next 5 minutes. Another one could be 10 degrees/minute for the whole time. Same average! Different results? You bet!

It’s easy to get a single number; that’s what an average is. So everyone states it. But imagine a 10 minute roast whose average is 10 degrees/minute. One roast could have a 20 degree/minute RoR for 5 minutes, and then shut down entirely for the next 5 minutes. Another one could be 10 degrees/minute for the whole time. Same average! Different results? You bet!

What’s probably happening is that Artisans is smoothing the curve; that’s different from an average. Pardon my geeky approach here, but an average is a single number. If you take a sample of averages over time, you get a “smoothed” curve…

Yes, Artisan allows you to customize the sample rate (they recommend 3s if I recall correctly) and I believe there is some smoothing control. Which is why Artisan plots look less noisy…I keep flirting with the idea of going back to Artisan but hope the Aillio dev team can sneak in a few more updates that many of us have been suggesting. Like temp plot projection. Hint hint.

1 Like

I think you are missing the point here. It takes an average every three seconds and then plots a curve with that data. Just a smoother RoR curve…

I hope a smoother RoR is coming soon. This feature is not optional with my roasting profiles.

1 Like

I am in fact back in Artisan. And if you think the RoR is noisy now, you should see the IBTS one…

2 Likes

I noted the RoR is based on the BT not IRBT. That doesn’t make sense based on the Aillio literature.

Stuart is talking about Artisan s/w. It computes RoR outside the Bullet using IBTS data.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce for clarifying. One of the reasons I had for going to Artisan was trying to use the IBTS RoR but honestly it’s almost too sensitive so I actually don’t display it all, too distracting. There are many other reasons I like Artisan though so I’m not overly sad :joy:

The Artisan concept for projecting RoR path is really helpful. But you once mentioned doing your mental gymnastics computing in your head when you would arrive at a target temp. Artisan really messes up your exercise program, doesn’t it?! :slight_smile:

Btw, I didn’t realize they had added IBTS support. Is their projection decent? You mentioned IBTS RoR is really noisy data which probably doesn’t give them much to work with.

Bruce

+1 to more control on smoothing ROR and temp plot projection.

Its still not possible to influence the noise in the ROR curve right?

AFAIK, nope… it’s also why I am mentally ignoring the noise when I roast. I mostly look at where my bean and IBTS temp curve is going, the RoR is “trending” more or less in the right direction. I don’t get hung up on the RoR.

1 Like

AFAIK, nope… it’s also why I am mentally ignoring the noise when I roast. I mostly look at where my bean and IBTS temp curve is going, the RoR is “trending” more or less in the right direction. I don’t get hung up on the RoR.

Sad Day,…

Does artisan do the averaging on the fly or post roast? I remember it being post roast but it has been a while.

I agree on it being pretty high frequency during the roast (erratic might be a better name) so it would be interesting to see a built in smoothing option become available.

On the fly I recall. This is how Roastime 1 did it…

-Mark