Suggestions for Future Updates

I don’t want to sound harsh, but isn’t the IBTS completely useless if we can’t derive an accurate ROR curve from it? Ultimately the main thing we need to tend to is control of the ROR curve, if the IBTS isn’t accurately reflecting that curve then what good is it?

That is essentially what Scott Rao said to me in a comment about the BULLET in his FaceTime User Group for the On-line Beginner Roasting Course he just gave. Scott said he would ignore the IBTS if It is not used for the RoR curve.

I think the consensus nowadays is that Scott’s declining ROR is not the only way to roast coffee. A perfect Rao curve is in no way a guarantee of a good roast.

@jmacrae523 In no way useless. It gives you much more realistic real time data that is not delayed a minute like the bean probe is. It is also much less sensitive to charge weight.

@djbrandes we already use different filters and algorithms to filter out noise but the IBTS is so precise that it is measuring the movement of the bean mass which is giving fluctuations. There is almost not way to get rid of this without delaying the ROR which we do not want to do. Next step is using machine learning, and this is in development.

9 Likes

I was roasting this evening and was trying to figure out the likely FC time looking at the ROR since I know the FC temp for the particular bean I was roasting. I just thought it would be cool to have an option to input the FC temp (+/- a few degrees) for the bean being roasted and being shown a dynamic estimated FC time based on that and the current ROR.

The FC temp could even be a field in the bean database. Since I believe the ability to choose the bean before the roast starts is being added in a future update, an extra FC field would serve the same purpose without having to input that before each roast.

It’s a little clumsy compared to recording data in My Beans as you suggest, but you can see 1C temps for a specific bean using the Roast Analyzer. Those 1C temps generally cluster together clearly making an outlier very evident. What roast analyzer also displays is the time distribution of 1C caused (I think!) by Preheat temp, Bean Temp when charged, and by ambient temp of the room.

The variations in Bean Temp at charge are very evident in the data displayed and have caused me to delay charging the roast till it gets within range (@quartzglen pointed out the need to heat-soak several months ago).

Bruce

2 Likes

What I meant was, and, as you have pointed out, a few roasts into a particular bean, you do get to know the average FC temp for it. So, if that could be used as the basis for calculating approximate FC time, wouldn’t it give us more leeway in adjusting parameters like F, P and D to speed up or delay the FC? I have seen many advise newbies about playing with those inputs to anticipate FC and time it accordingly. Seeing a dynamic expected FC time would help know whether a roast is moving ahead too fast or slower than planned. Having an approximate FC time based on current ROR displayed would, I feel, be very informative for newbies like me.

I do try doing some calculations mentally, but find it quite tedious while the roast is on.

@bab - something like what you have mentioned about Artisan - Average RoR in RT - #15 by bab

Honestly that would be my number one feature request and why I’m sticking with Artisan for now, that mental math of calculating expected DE and FC can be exhausting in my less than young brain :joy:

3 Likes

Trust me on this… it gets worse. Much worse!! :wink:

Bruce

1 Like

Another thing I noticed - could RT3 implement a way to un-mark a roast phase if one is marked by mistake? Sometimes I’ve caught myself marking FC a bit prematurely by accident, but there’s no way to undo that so I just have to suck it up for the rest of the roast. I’d love to be able to undo the mark and mark it again at the appropriate time.

2 Likes

You can change the marked values on the Edit page, but maybe you’re looking for a way to do this from the Roast page so that the TSFC and dev % values are re-computed with the new FC value?

You nailed it the second time - I’d like to be able to do this mid-roast.

1 Like

I’m on roast 5 with my bullet. First two batches were a mess. Next three were great, will be curious how they taste. But hearing FC is pretty difficult compared to my smaller Quest M3 which is like popcorn in a microwave. I got confused a few times and so yah, a way to change it mid roast is great. On Artisan you can just right click at a point on your BT to mark it exactly there. I wish they would team up…I’m still missing Artisan but can’t get it to connect.

With the current reliance on the old V1 USB drivers, it can be a dance to get Artisan connected. You absolutely can’t do it with RT2 installed due to driver conflicts. I have asked Matt to look at helping the Artisan guys out by trying to get this resolved so both Artisan and RT use the same and can co-exist. I’d see they would complement each other depending on whether you felt you were in a Roasting Lite or Advanced frame of mind…

2 Likes

You know what feature I’d love? Could we limit the number of times the roaster says “charge” once it enters charge mode? I hate listening to it repeat itself over and over while I’m preparing to charge it or letting it sit and warm the drum further.

6 Likes

ohhhh yes plz shut her a bit up

1 Like

One other thing - I think marking phase changes in RoastTime should count toward resetting the 2-minute dead man’s switch timer. I’m obviously present and consciously allowing the roast’s heat/fan to be left alone if I’m marking things in RT.

4 Likes

Two simple things I’d like to see is a thinner line/stroke for the ROR curve and a thicker line/stroke for the 200C (equivalent in F) on the Y axis. For most of us FC occurs in the threshold of the 200C mark, so, a thicker line would make it easier to predict the time it will occur, especially with the bean predict on. On a side note, a small indicator (cursor) like on the X axis for the current roast time would be very helpful too.

1 Like

dolphin plugs on the wires to shutoff incase electric upsurge

The suggested clean-up being 10Kgs and 30Kgs, would be great to get a notification when those thresholds are crossed.

1 Like

Just realized last evening that the milestones recorded in the roast profiles record the yellowing, FC, etc. as the time they happen. Would be immensely helpful if the temperature they occur (IBTS) are also recorded. That would be a really useful milestone to refer to when roasting later. Based on the various factors the time, say, FC occurs may vary for a bean but, the temperature it occurs is mostly the same.

2 Likes