Avoiding humps and ROR crashes

Hi, been roasting on the bullet for just a couple weeks now, I believe I have been developing some better roasts. I’ve been a barista in my local community for around 4 years, entrusted with dialing in everything at my job, doing maintenance etc., placed well in some latte art throw-downs, so I believe I generally know what a good cup is and what I’m looking for, as I’m roasting and comparing to other roasters I like. My roasts that have been closer to this 10 minute mark I have found totally drinkable and some even very pleasing, like “Wow, I roasted this.” Point being, this is multiple questions really
1: can ROR humps and crashes still produce a good cup?
2: What would one of you guys do to avoid the hump and subsequent crash in the embedded roast profile?
I’m just curious to know real opinions on this, as this is the coffee venture I know the least about and want to improve, and maybe avoid bad habits along the way

Yes, absolutely. Check out Morten Münchow’s writings/videos. He has a thorough, scientific/numeric argument about why RoR is not so important. Why Rate of Rise is a bad reference point for optimizing flavour in coffee roasting – CoffeeMind

My guess: drop the power sooner. Maybe drop to P5 at 6:00. Also, less fan at the end. Somewhere around F4 or F5 the Bullet fan has a major cooling effect. I almost never go to F5, I reduce power instead, it’s easier to make finer adjustments with P than F, in my experience.

2 Likes
  1. yes
  2. absolutely nothing

…because science:

Thanks for posting his video… but 2 hrs … :sweat_smile: gonna need to carve out time to watch/listen

1 Like

There’s a 40 minute version that much the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrscIUhii-U :slight_smile:

Thanks @damon! This might be more time efficient for me. I’ve always subscribed to the camp of the RoR curve isn’t everything as I read Hoos as well.

Happy Roasting!