Built-in Color Analyzer

Would love to see a built-in color analyzer in the Bullet. Not sure how difficult it would be (probably very difficult or everyone would be doing it), but I believe this would be an amazing feature to have for any roaster. Imagine being able to program the roast to end or change parameters based on the roast color. Not sure if anyone has implemented something like this but it seems like it would be a game changer.

3 Likes

If I remember there is a version for large roasters but expensive and with a monthly fee RealTime ColorTrack. Also right now Roest is trying to implement something similar with the P3000.

You can build a simple color analyzer for your coffee (post roast on bench top) You may have seen the thread on this community. I believe it is a search for Color Analyzer. I built one following the instructions at GitHub and it works great. For that analyzer the color values really depend on a fine (espresso) grind to give you an accurate/precise color reading. I built a couple of extra 3D printed cases but haven’t used them yet.

Here is the link to the DIY color analyzer.
RT 4.3.2 addition to Color Meter dropdown - #16 by billc.

I built one and calibrated it using some beans that I bought that had Agtron values associated with them.

I really like having the battery in it so that I don’t have to deal with the cable getting in the way when I am tapping the analyzer on the counter to settle the extra fine grounds.

I use the finest grind setting that I can with my Baratza Sette.

Edit: I have deleted a portion of this post because I am re-thinking my Roast Color Chart. I believe that it has too many errors.

I don’t roast much past the beginning of 2nd crack and that has Skewed my data

Sweet Marias has one that looks nice but the temperatures are different than what I experience. As an example, they are calling out first crack at 405F. 90% of the time, the first crack with my bullet is 393F.

The SCA has a very interesting read on Roasted coffee color analysis: