Capybara

Good evening/Morning,

I’ve been roasting in the kitchen since May this year. Moved into a timber workshop tonight. First roast normal 600g Ethical, second roast 1kg of Ecuador. About 10 minutes in the drum stopped spinning and the beans just sat inside getting hotter. So I started to cool, had to tip them out and vacuum most of them. Anyway once it cooled down I started preheating, charged, put new beans in and the drum just stopped turning. The whole of the front seems hotter than normal. Left it to cool down, tried it again, preheat, charge put beans in, drum spins for a bit then just stops. Really worried I’ve broken it.

Did you copy the error codes when any of the drum stops occurred? I imagine if you had you would have mentioned them, so at this point your best bet is to contact either your dealer (assuming that’s where you bought the Bullet) or Aillio Support. The roast data + error codes are on the server and Support can help you understand what happened and how to proceed.

Support may tell you all is well in the error codes which may point to the cog belt on the rear end of the drum shaft. That’s what couples the motor to the drum. If tension on the belt is too little the belt can slip, If that’s the case I would have expected there would be some noise each time the belt slipped then grabbed again. I believe there’s a section in the Bullet manual which details the adjustment process on pp 27 & 28.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I did notice an error message on the display but was in such a panic when the drum stopped. But on the other two try’s at
roasting and when the beans went inside, the drum stopped with what seems to be the weight of beans, no error message. I was connected online. Fingers crossed it’s the belt, it has been moved around quite a lot over the last couple of days. I’m going to attempt checking it soon.[quote=“bab, post:2, topic:9196, full:true”]
Did you copy the error codes when any of the drum stops occurred? I imagine if you had you would have mentioned them, so at this point your best bet is to contact either your dealer (assuming that’s where you bought the Bullet) or Aillio Support. The roast data + error codes are on the server and Support can help you understand what happened and how to proceed.

Support may tell you all is well in the error codes which may point to the cog belt on the rear end of the drum shaft. That’s what couples the motor to the drum. If tension on the belt is too little the belt can slip, If that’s the case I would have expected there would be some noise each time the belt slipped then grabbed again. I believe there’s a section in the Bullet manual which details the adjustment process on pp 27 & 28.

Bruce
[/quote]

The belt seems ok to me and it has the metal spring that is supposed to keep the belt tensioned? I’ve contacted support via email and the place I got my roaster from, they just said to look on here and contact support. I’m not sure what else I can do about it now. Had no email back from anyone yet. The drum just feels so easy to move around by hand absolutely no tension at all spinning clockwise and anticlockwise, the rear cog belt seems ok and does move when I turn the drum by hand.

1 Like

Keep in mind Support is in Taiwan. In my MST time zone that’s 11 hrs away. They’ve been very good about replying and for my needs their help has been excellent including getting parts to me right away when needed.

Bruce

2 Likes

Actually, this sounds like the key has fallen out of the pulley. That could happen if the set screw was loose. The belt pulley would have to slip sideways to allow it to fall out which would be very difficult to make happen on purpose, so it seems unlikely in practice. That said, If you remove the chaff collector with no power on, you can move the drum by hand and see if the shaft is moving the cog belt pulley. You ought to be able to see the shaft & pulley move as you move the drum. If the drum & pulley aren’t locked together then it’s possible the key is missing. If it is you may possibly find it at the bottom of the drive motor cover (the opposing half of the chaff collector at the rear).

Bruce

Hi Bruce, really appreciate your help :blush:
Just frustrating that it’s happening on the weekend and support are so far away. I’ve checked to see if the cog belt moves round when I turn the drum round by hand, it does. I’ve checked the two grub screws on the large cog wheel both fine. The tension on the cog belt is fine, something is definitely not connected properly on the drum because it spins round so easily in both directions. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to talk with support and show them via video call what’s happening. Have a great weekend. :+1:t2:

If you can easily move the drum with the cog belt pulley & its key in place and the belt has tension, then there must be no resistance at the motor end of the belt. You’ll need to remove the cover that hides the motor from view. There’s info in the manual. There are 4 screws holding that cover in place and they are all hidden from view- you have to do it ‘blind’. The tool is in the kit that came with the roaster. Again, the manual has info.

Bruce

And this from the Bullet manual…

Symptom: The drum stop spinning after loading beans, but no thumping sound is heard
Cause: The motor pulley is not tight
*Tools Needed: Hex Key 3&4mm *
Solution: Unmount the chaff collector and take off the right back cover by unscrewing the 4 hex screws that are in the same location as the alignment pins on the chaff collector (see the previous symptom). After the cover is off, loosen the two bolts that hold the drum motor completely and carefully take off the motor in its bracket. Re-align the motor pulley with the shaft so that the screw securing the pulley will touch the flat part of the shaft. Tighten and reassemble making sure to tighten the belt when mounting the motor bracket

1 Like

Okay, so it could be the silver motor that’s not working properly? I’ve got all that area exposed ready for the support team to see.

The top motor is the exhaust fan motor (the ‘muffin fan’). The lower motor in the pic is the drum motor. That’s the one you’re interested in. I’m guessing when you move the drum that motor shaft isn’t moving. The manual has instructions for adjusting the pulley.

Bruce

And btw, my suspicion is the motor is fine. It’s just the drive pulley is loose on the motor shaft.

Bruce

1 Like

I’ve not seen any pins or grub screws that connects the motor to the silver pulley wheel.

So this is the other end that has two grub screws in and both are fine. So do you think the other pulley wheel the small one that had the shift from the motor should have a little key/screw? Because it does have holes for them.

Yes- the lower motor. There’s a fuse on the tiny PC board to check as well. You have a different drive/tension system than I do so I’m not sure what you’ll see (mine is vintage 2019). But the manual describes the setup & adjustment. The set screws may be located under the belt. If you look on the Aillio site under Support you may find a video.

Bruce

Mmm… if you see holes and no screws, you may have just worked out the problem! The screws will seat deep so they can clear the cog belt.

Bruce

1 Like

Thanks Bruce. Well I can’t touch it till Sunday! I’m feeling better about it all now. Hope you have a good day. :+1:t2:

1 Like

You da man Bruce! :laughing:

1 Like