Chaff catcher / Bean blocker 9000XL

I think vac bags maybe too restrictive. The nylon stockings would work but they do get runs when snagged onto something. I am also looking at those reusable cotton coffee socks as an option…

italian film GIF

1 Like

Or just hook a vacuum straight up and vent the vacuum up and out.

2 Likes

Nylon nut milk bags may be the optimal solution. I have one that I got for my wife for making yogurt. It is a 200 mesh and air passes through it easily. Better, I think, than cotton would.

Amazon also has 100 mesh nut bags.

They have mesh bags under the same listing for 100 mesh, 200 mesh and 300 mesh

I will try it out. (I wish I had thought of this before I ordered 50 fruit saver bags)

I wonder if @Krame can come up with a GIF for this that is not totally obscene…laughing already.

Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+

I like this one. I’m going to try it :slight_smile: Thanks @billc … my Amazon coffee list is getting longer :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I just roasted 500g of a Honduran washed. It didn’t have much chaff, but the nut milk bag didn’t let any dust escape. I need to try it with a natural Ethiopian to really test it.

The grid on the left is the fruit bag, the grid on the right is the 200 mesh NutMilk Bag. The holes in the nut milk bag are probably about the size of a human hair.

Used thread locker on the bolt. Don’t want a lucky customer.

oK. This has no right being as awesome as it is. I just tried it, and I’m never going back.

1 Like

Really like how you painted (taped?) the tryer so you can tell which way is up!

Gray Haertig

1 Like

Thanks. It is painted.

I did this because: During a roast, I didn’t have the trier in the correct orientation and ended up having to throw away the beans in the trier because they would have ended up being roasted to the wrong level. It is possible that they might have damamged my grinder if they were too green.

3 Likes

I need those milk bags to make my coffee dyed t-shirts, thanks!

Those 200 mesh milk bags really works great!!

1 Like

Figured I’d make a riff on @billc 's idea, using the 200 mesh milk bags. We all like magnets, right? Collar allows you to cinch a mesh bag of your choice (or a hose + hose clamp, if desired) onto the adapter. Magnets hold firmly to the stock screws for the fan.

https://www.printables.com/model/396979-aillio-bullet-magnetic-cooling-tray-chaff-catcher

1 Like

Great idea @kirby64!
I started off using a reusable wire tie, but have since changed to an elastic cord.
But is would be nice to be able to just pop off the adapter to clean it out.

Kirby:
Great idea, any suggestions on how to get one made (printed)?
Gil

1 Like

This looks like a modification to the existing cooling tray vent hose adaptor? I had one of those printed out by another Bullet roaster who has a 3D print shop on Etsy and I just cinch the milk bag to it.

Not really a modification, I’d say. I made this whole cloth from my own design, just seemed like an improvement since the other photo appeared to show it was bolted to the existing screws.

@gilbertwilliamson.db anyone that has a 3d printer should be able to print this. There’s verious online resources available you can request items from if there’s nobody local available to you. I made it out of ABS plastic though so it’s not going to have any issues with hot exhaust. PLA may be okay, but I can’t say I’ve tested it.

Alternatively, if you (or anyone else) is interested, I’d be happy to print this for someone and ship it to em if they’re located in the US. I’ve got tons of magnets so those aren’t an issue.

Yes the existing adaptor design provided by Aillio does need to screw into where the fan is - it was a pain to align the screws. Magnets sounds like really good improvement! :+1:t4:

1 Like