Checking green bean supplier reference

oh, yeah, they’re wholesalers primarily.

I usually get the $150-200 22lb boxes, not the very top of their line.

That is expensive. I would want to buy 3 pounds and try try it before comitting to 22 pounds. I did a quick search and can’t find anyone that is selling that coffee other than Royal right now.

Anerobics are very different coffees and they don’t appeal to everyone. Poorly done and they can leave a funky flavor that most people find unpleasant.

I personally like anerobics and bought an experimental Crown Jewel from Columbia: Double Carbonic Chili Mossto Fermented Honey Bourbon.
What they have done is: after picking the cherries, they let them dry as a natural, and then they add those dried cherries to a Chili Must. (slurry) and let them re-hydrate some and the flavors of the chili soaks into the beans. then they re-dry and continue with the rest of the drying process. I am originally from New Mexico and am a bit of a Chili Head.
When ever I brew some of this for friends, they are suprised and didn’t think that they were going to like it. But, most do. It doesn’t have a lot of chili flavor and almost no chili heat, but it is very distinctive.
I have bought some other “infused” coffees from other producers in the same area. A Blackberry and a Peach. The Blackberry would have been worth $15.00 a pound. Everyone that has tried that one is blown away by it.

Like all things new and experimental, there is a lot of controversy. There are the purists that want their coffee processed in very traditional methods. And then there are people like me that are willing to try different things and if I like it, that’s good.

When people would ask me: What’s the best wine to buy? I would tell them: “the one that tastes good to you”
It’s a lot like roasting. Find the technique that works for you.

I’ve heard that some of the Baristas use Coffee from Jaun Penas farm in Ecuador for competition.

If you haven’t tried an anerobic before, there is one that might be worth trying from Captain’s Coffee. It is a Royal Coffee. Colombia Huila Terraza Anaerobic Pink Bourbon
The Price is around $8.75 per pound for three pounds. Anerobic and Pink bourbon. Sounds good.
I haven’t tried it. i just recently tried a pink bourbon and it was excellent.
The owner of Captain’s Coffee is very fond of Fruit forward coffees and creates some excellent blends.

Is Burman legit? I saw Jamaica Blue on Coffee Bean Corral for $40 per lb… Burman was like $28 for the same bean… JAMAICAN BLUE MOUNTAIN – CLYDESDALE ESTATE – GR. 1… Coffee Bean Corral exact same bean for $40.00. Are they both just sourcing from Royal Coffee?

@questavolta I have bought JBM from Burman for a friend who wanted me to roast it and he’s had JBM from other roasters, he said it’s as he knows JBM to be when I roast it for him. Burman has been around for quite a while as a family owned business. Most of the time when I get JBM from Burman it’s $33 to $36 /lb (depending on farm) sometimes they might run a sale. There are a lot of other specialty coffee importers (besides Royal) who only do wholesale so likely they may be sourcing from other importers or may have their own connections similar to SM having their own direct connections with sources. I personally don’t care of buy such expensive beans, for my palate it wasn’t worth it. For my friend he is willing to pay so he pays that cost plus my time to roast for him. :slight_smile: I have found CBC and Royal to be $1 to $2 /lb more expensive for the same beans (e.g. Bali, Yemen or Sumatra) I can find elsewhere like Happy Mug, Sweet Maria or Burman.

Happy Roasting

Bean Belt Coffees for Brazil is also a great spot to buy small batches. Cheers!

I’ve stopped buying through SM etc and instead have been buying direct from farmers to support direct trade. Juan down in Colombia is producing some truly spectacular washed, honey & natural processed Castillo’s under ‘The Coffee Five Project’ label. Highly recommend you reach out and add his coffees to your rotation…he’ll send any quantity you want.

[email protected]

1 Like