Coffee... you tricky little devil you

A little background, a quick story, and an observation (or something like that)…

Before purchasing a Bullet I was roasting on a DIY 500g Fluidbed Roaster with great success and getting delicious results. One of the reasons I switched to the Bullet (among others) was that I wanted more consistent repeatability and in-roast tracking. The FB roaster was completely by sight, sound, and smell. Essentially, it was a constant heat level with airflow control being the only way to make adjustments during the roast. It wasn’t very complex = just keep the beans in a consistent fluidbed agitation without getting stuck or shooting them out the top of the roast chamber.

Back to the Bullet – I appreciate the ability to create recipes, make multiple adjustments to keep a constant RoR, and make minor tweaks to try and eeek out solid results and yummy cups. I was in a roast session and for some reason thought I had started a recipe I created for dry process Ethiopians but I hadn’t. By the time I caught it the beans were rushing headlong into FC. I thought for a moment to make some emergency adjustments but decided to just let it roll until the usual end temp I try to drop the beans at to see what it would taste like.

I tasted it this morning after brewing it up for the fam in my Bonavita 1900. Pretty good! :crazy_face: considering I made absolutely no adjustments.

It made me once again appreciate the complexity and mystery in roasting coffee. We think we have control but the bean always proves us wrong :laughing: So here’s to you, coffee bean, you tricky little devil of a hobby :beers:

Profiles attached for reference.

1 Like

Update: after resting it got worse. Definitely not as good as the recipe profile. :sweat_smile:

First of all, please understand that I use a translator because I am not good at English.

I think the weight loss rate after roasting is important, so you can check if the right amount of moisture is flying away and roasting is going well.

My favorite roasting weight loss rates range from 11% to 12% for coffee beans and 13% to 15% for espresso beans.

1 Like