Cool down mode

I’ve had my V1.5 about 3 weeks now and am having fun struggling through the uphill curve transitioning from an RK Drum to the Bullet R1. Should the glass window be left open after dumping beans or should it be closed during cool down? I haven’t seen this addressed anywhere.

It may not matter, but I close the door after I know that all straggler beans have exited the drum. That allows the Bullet to just cool down normally by drawing cool air through (door closed). My non-scientific belief is that I’m allowing the Bullet to gradually cool-down which may be helpful to the electronics. It may not make a bit of difference how the Bullet is cooled for shut-down, and I expect that Jacob or Jonas would have the best answer on that one.

On my home-built gas roaster, I do the opposite and leave it wide open for everything to cool as quickly as possible. It is not electric and I’m not concerned about any effects upon the sensors I have installed in that roaster. Ron Kyle was a good builder of gas-grill drums and it was a loss to the home roasting community when he passed. Hold onto your gas grill setup 'cause it makes a great back-up and/or alternative to electric roasters. :+1:

1 Like

It would be interesting for Aillio support to chime in. I also have a V1.5. I have been leaving the door open during cooling. The Bullet cools down just a little fast than with it closed. 62 roasts so far and all is well.

Thanks for your feedback on the Bullet. I have 2 of Ron’s RK Drums (4 & 6 Lbs) and I agree, his passing was a great loss to the home roasting community. He helped me out personally on several occasions.

I just finished my 15th roast and am still figuring things out. So far only one was a bust.
I’ve done both open door cooling and closed door and haven’t noticed much difference - but I haven’t put a timer on it either.
Jerry

jprocopio

1d

I’ve had my V1.5 about 3 weeks now and am having fun struggling through the uphill curve transitioning from an RK Drum to the Bullet R1. Should the glass window be left open after dumping beans or should it be closed during cool down? I haven’t seen this addressed anywhere.

Had a lot of really good coffee from my RK drum… #102 I believe (??). He also made a 60 rpm spit drive for me (then later decided that was a little too slow).

If you’re going to do back-to-back roasts, you would close the door. If you’re going to shut down, leaving the door open defeats the circulation of cooling air thru the rest of the drum area since the air goes from the door to the exhaust duct and out the rear. Not sure if that’s significant or not, just pointing out what the cooling air is doing.

The reverse is true when pre-heating since there’s no air movement from the fan during that cycle. Some here have complained that their first roast temps are off a little because of that. [ Perhaps there’s a need for a f/w change to add some very slow air movement at the end of pre-heat… ?? Or maybe there is some fan activity if you dwell at pre-heat for a bit… ??? Dunno. I need to pay attention next time. ]

Bruce