Cooling tray fan noise

Hey guys, i´ve been roasting on a coffeeshop with the bullet, and I want to lower the noise from the cooling tray ( the most noisy part of roasting ) to a degree that it´s not inconvenient in the environment.
Do you guys have any tips? I am thinking on making a tube after the fan with several layers to see if it absorbs the noise, but I would love more recommendations.
Whatever it is, it must be visually pleasant as well :slight_smile:

The usual fan noise dampening techniques (rubber or anything to reduce vibration), but don’t expect great results since the RPM is high. Anything with high RPM will create a noise. Reducing the fan speed will have negative effects on cooling. All in all, you’re stuck with the level of noise you have, unless you want to sacrifice far more important things. Sorry.

An after market cooler might be quieter. There is a guy in Taiwan that sells an after market cooler. I don’t know how loud it is.

He goes by the name of Coffee Tea on facebook

Pretty pricey. The last I heard was around $770.00

1 Like

The fans need to work, and you can’t put much isolation between them and coffee without slowing down the cooling process, or airflow if you prefer. My guess is it would be similar to these two…

1 Like

I dropped my cooling tray and had to replace the cable because the connector pulled out. I was able to work with Sweet Maria’s to get a replacement cable but I noticed that the noise was much louder after, probably a side effect of putting the roaster on a piece of plywood so that the cooling tray wouldn’t fall again.

Putting a microfiber cloth under the tray really cut down the noise so now I’m happy. A noise dampening mat should work too.

I modified a StirChef saucepan stirrer I found at a thrift store to stir the beans in the cooler to make them cool faster.

Thanks Yakster! I’ll look into that I think this may be the best solution. My idea is like a muffler for the noise of the fan after the air comes out, but I can damp it with some dampening mat, I think it will make it better! It´s 3-4 minutes from hell in the shop

it get´s really hot air! My idea is to make a muzzler or a muffler , to retain the noise that comes after the fan but keep the air flowing otherwise you have no cooling at all!

I like this! Will look into options like that for helping, thanks

This is the stirrer that I use. It is available from Amazon.
IMB_Cxnzoo

I used a hacksaw to shorten the shaft and put a split collar on it (also available from Amazon) to hold it a few mm above the bowl. Or you could use a screw going through one of the holes.

2 Likes

The vent hose on the cooler won’t dampen much of that sound. That is what I use to direct the smoke closer to my range hood vent.