Do you wear a respirator or ear plugs?

I have a range hood as my ventilation with ducting out to a window. The vent is quite loud and I notice that a bit of smoke does escape on darker roasts. I’ve considered wearing a mask as I know the diacetyl can cause issues with the lungs over time.

Are you using a mask or ear protection while roasting? Do you have any recommendations?

Have you considered noise-canceling ear buds or something similar? Someone in the forums pointed out that they help one to detect the faint popping of the very beginnings of first crack. I tried it with my Airpod Pros, and it works! Also cuts down on overall noise, of course.

I can’t speak to the mask question; I currently roast near an open garage door and everything gets sucked right out by the prevailing coastal wind.

No and no, couldn’t hear or smell to my best…

You can’t protect yourself from everything. There are more dangerous things out there. The roasting process requires you to smell the coffee, I hope you’re using the tryer, and to hear the FC. I can’t imagine someone with a mask and earplugs doing that. To be honest, I’ve never seen anyone roast like that. Apart from range hood and active carbon filter before that, I just open the window at the end of the roast and it’s back to normal within 2 minutes. The window opening doesn’t affect anything. I’ve done 8KG yesterday and my room tempereture was pretty consistent.

I’d recommended reviewing some information on the safety of coffee exhaust and associated chemicals. There is always time and a way to do it safely.
I’ve used a mask before I had a reliable venting setup, and if something is going weird and the went is ineffective, i have a mask nearby and I wear it.

I don’t believe the noise on the bullet is loud enough to be damaging. I’m usually listening to music, but pause it near first crack to hear better.

Do grilled foods cause cancer? | Columbia University Irving Medical Center

Grilling can create cancer-causing chemicals

When cooking over high heat, especially an open flame, you are exposed to two main carcinogens: heterocyclic aromatic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Studies show HCAs and PAHs cause changes in DNA that may increase the risk of cancer.

• HCAs develop in meat when amino acids and creatine (muscle proteins) react to high heat. Time is your enemy: The amount of HCAs increases the longer meat is exposed to the heat.
  • PAHs are chemicals produced as fat burns in the flame and can attach to meat cooking over an open fire. When grilling, you’re also exposed to PAHs in smoke. (Cigarette smoke and air pollution also contain PAHs, which partly explains why smoking and air pollution are linked to different cancers).

The good news about grilling: Vegetables do not have muscle proteins, but excessive charring can create benzopyrene and other carcinogens.<

Now, I can add to that that my air purifier goes berserk when I grill plant based meat substitutes. I don’t eat meat. It goes on more with windows open than it does with coffee roasting and closed windows. And I think everybody grills or fries. Even frying is bad. And that is without even going into what passes through your water, what kind of air you are breathing, forever chemicals, plastic you eat etc. Trust me, the last thing you’ll die from is coffee roasting. If you want to be completely safe, please, never ever remove your mask.

yep

life causes cancer. news at 11

If you work with recipes and know your FC time its not necessary to make a notice every time. I mean its helpful for future you, but doesn’t affect the roast. So, if your hood is loud use whatever you think can help you.
About smell… everything has a smell))) But the danger is not smell but particles in the air. While roasting as you may have already noticed, your hood filter also gets clogged with fine coffee flour, despite the fact that the Bullet already has a filter. So, its bad if those particles go into your lungs. But this flour must also pass through a filter in your nose before it gets into your lungs, if you know what I mean. In general, this is not an easy path… Since you have hood … Everything should be ok!

I have begun to wear an N95 mask during roasting in my garage.

The point about particles is a good one. The mention of looking the buildup on filters is a good one. That’s what you can breathe during roasting. Roasting smoke can be a severe irritant leading to bronchitis (don’t ask how I know) and worse if you are susceptible. Chronic inflammation is no joke.