Don't open the door while roasting

I was happy roasting a 1200 g batch, I was playing with the door handle and opened by accident :no_mouth:
I quickly took the hot beans and try to continue roasting them, hopefully are still drinkable.

Lesson learned: Donā€™t play with the door while roastingā€¦

(Full log: Roast World - Cup, grade, and analyze your coffee roasts in depth)

1 Like

:no_mouth: :no_mouth: :no_mouth: indeed!

Do you generally roast such a large batch?

1 Like

Oh dear that is funny in a kind of dark way. Sorry for your loss!

1 Like

Hope theyā€™re drinkable, yes, but also hope theyā€™re not best-ever awesome so we all donā€™t have to adopt the mid-roast drop technique too :slight_smile: . I can just see the RFE to Matthew to add support for that in recipesā€¦

3 Likes

@blacklabs Yes, normally I roast large batches, here in France I have very constant 240v electricity, I have realized in comparison to when I go to Chile (my native country) that here in general the machines that have to generate heat do it faster.

@tom29jq Although it is sad I take it with good humor, feel free to laugh :blush:

@bradm I will make a blind cupping with another batch of the same coffee after few days degassing, I will keep posting the results!!

1 Like

@bradm My partner prepared the blind cupping table, and I have to say that unfortunately the roast that fell off gave a much more complex, sweet with notes (apple, prune, maple syrup) that I didnā€™t feel in the normal roastā€¦ I think Iā€™m going to have to experiment with the mid-roast drop technique a bitā€¦ (I should mention that I have a fair trained palate and Iā€™m looking to become a Q grader sometime soon)

So you cupped what fell out vs what stayed in the roaster until the end of that roast? Or was it vs. a different batch of the same bean? Just wondering.

@blacklabs maybe I didnā€™t explain good myself, when I drop the beans by accident (short after yellow), I took them inside the roaster again for finish roasting them, for that the roast curve in the picture is very weird (the crazy reading was the accident).

I blind tasted that roast (I didnā€™t have much hope) with a normal batch of that coffee without accidents, and the beans that I drop and put in the roaster again, was considerably better, against all my expectationsā€¦

Ahā€¦ I understand now :slight_smile: so you continued the roast of the dropped beans by re-charging them. Fascinating that it was better. I wonder if the that ā€œflashā€ of cooler air during yellowing phase did something ā€¦ I wonder if you can replicate that ā€œflashā€ of cooler air without opening the door by dropping temp and increasing fan? Removing the bean chute plug will probably draw in the cooler air into the drum too. Just speculating.

Iā€™m waiting my next green coffee delivery and start to experiment

Keep updating this to let us know how your experiments go. For what itā€™s worth I am not one to want to follow the herd so I am always interested in other peopleā€™s experiments and giving it a try myself when I have time :laughing:

Yes very interesting! Maybe this is a clue that bean needs a longer slower roast? Thanks for the tasting report.

1 Like

@miguelszvy So maybe do open the door while roasting? :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes