Download to csv?

Agreed, whilst I like the overall concept of “sharing” we really need that switch that allows us to opt out of some/all roasting sessions…hopefully that’s an easy implement in a future release.

As to forum activity, there are always going to be chatty folks like us :wink: But like neighbours. sometimes you only see them when they want to borrow your lawnmower or tools, others are happy to shoot the breeze over the fence any time. I think I may be in the latter category.

Guys, the discussion about Artisan etc is interesting, but it needs its own thread please. This one is about requesting a feature to be able to export to CSV.

I’d be really happy if the “export to json” supported export to csv as well. I’m not asking for full on roast analysis tools or anything like that, I already have the tools in a spreadsheet to graph things. I just want to be able to import my roast data into a spreadsheet!

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

I took a look at the exported JSON data. I found a very nice tool that will convert it to CSV or even XLSX (Excel). And I discovered a huge “problem” - no TIME data in the file!!! This bean temp and drum temp data, and “bean temp derivative” data, but the time of each entry is completely missing. If you could add that I’d have what I need.

From looking at the data and the elapsed time, it looks to me like the interval is 0.5 seconds, so I am going to use that as the time interval for now…

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to control the thread, I was asking for reasonable consideration of what the thread’s subject is. I’ve been participating in open forums for many years, and I still think it’s a good idea to try to keep a thread on topic. Discussions about the roast profiler, using artisan, and whether or not roasts are private are all very interesting to me as well, but I think a new thread might be a better place for them. If that’s not how you folks roll around here, fine, I’ll try to adapt, but I’m not making any promises… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry Will, I know where you’re coming from trying to keep a post “single threaded” as it makes for interesting rediscovery later. In my defence I was about to point you to some JSON->CSV converter sites that I had come across in my Googling after pulling down a JSON export of one of my roasts. I didn’t have a lot of time to review it and also came across a few Mac OS JSON tools that at least allow a reasonable view of the data. I did not discover the absence of time stamping but you’re right, if you figure each data point is sampled at specific intervals that may get you back to a timeline you can work with.

@PapasCup and I will go find someone else’s fence to hang over :wink: Well I’ll try…

We made the export json so that the data is available. Its the more or less raw data from the roaster. The CSV export is something we are working on, however its not as easy as it might sound because we need to format everything so that it makes sense.

Can someone start another thread about the ability to hide profiles?

That is correct, the interval is 0.5 seconds.
We are looking at doing the real csv download. Just have to finalize the format.

1 Like

Is the real CSV file download ready to go?

Hi Rob,

Right now we have the export function on roast.world (look in the list of roasts there is a button on the right) but the export is a json file which is another way saving data.

If you want to convert it to CSV it is a little bit tricky but it can be done. I recommend making a macro in Excel to automate some of these steps.

I tested this using libreOffice but Excel should be very similar.

1. I have used CSVJSON - CSVJSON to open the file once it is downloaded from roast.world
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the file and remove ,“roastNumber”: … and the rest of the file.
  3. Add a } at the end so the file look something like:
    ,6.1,5.9,5.5,5.5,5.2,4.8,4.6,4.2,4.2]}
  4. Press the convert arrow, then press download and save the file
  5. Import in excel using comma as delimiter.
    Your data should then look like:
  6. I would arrange the data a little different first.
  7. Next you need to convert the text to columns. Select the cell (in my case it was A5 for bean temp, A8 for IBTS and A11 for ROR), then choose Data->Text to Columns and use comma as delimiter. The data should then look like this.

That is basically it. If you want to rotate the data you can cut the whole row, then paste special ticking the box transpose.

Please note that there are no timestamps. The data is sampled two times per second.

Jacob

1 Like

I’m pretty sure recent versions of Excel and convert json files directly. I have to go back and look again but I am sure I did this with data exported from RoastWorld.

I saw that too when I searched on google, but our 2016 could not.

There is a json to csv converter online:

I tried it and it seems to work.

I’d still like to see a direct csv export feature though. Having to run it through this online converter is a bit clunky.

One think I’d like to use a csv export for is the ability to compare different roasts in terms of the time between different stages of roasting. For example, the ability to take several roasts and compare the part of the roast that happens after the yellow transition.

Can’t you do that on RW?

Any movement on new export formats or richer datasets?

For me the .json file type is fine to use with python analytics, I don’t need a CSV.

But it looks like the data output is limited (data = bean name, preheat temp, 3 curves, and actions).

@jacob Can all of the roast data be included as well? (Green weight, roasted weight, temp, humidity, date, comments). This would be much more useful to users trying to do their own analytics. I’m liking some of the roast analyzer plots but in the spirit of openness, public profiles, and growing the community, liberating users own data for personal analytics would be great!

Hey, We do include green weight, roasted weight, humidity, roast date (as a timestamp), and roast comments in the roast profile. Can you let me know which roast world page did you get this JSON info from?

Edit:

Oh, it seems that’s from the export function of the old roast.world

1 Like

Thats right, I did use the old roast.world export because I’ve searched all over but I can’t find an export feature in beta.roast.world.

Is export to JSON going to be added back to RoastTime3 or Roast World?

@winslette on a Mac, all of your .json files for each roast are on your computer under

/Users/(YOUR USERNAME)/Library/Application Support/roast-time/roasts

to get into your library folder you may have to do something like: Three Ways to Access the Library Folder on Your Mac

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, We do plan to add this back to RW3. However, there are a few other tasks that we are working on at the moment.

Does anyone know if this folder syncs with RW, or is it just the roasts that were created on this computer?

I am currently using my work laptop for roasting - but I want to use and older one instead and for analytics purposes, I’d like to know if my previous roasts will be synced by RT or just kept on the first laptop.