ErC 0004

Jacob,

Is it problem also when we clean chaff collector in b2b roasting? It will make some damage to induction board if we remove chaff collector and clean it in 2-3min?

I think that is OK to do.

I have a second chaff collector I swap out every three roasts. It doesn’t take long to swap out. I also vacuum out the flap at the bottom of the back of the bullet every roast.
Cheers Barry

I had the same issue these guys with IBTS were talking about and pretty much identical to what @sam4015 described. I checked my IBTS fan and my fan seems installed correctly since the green label is facing towards the roaster, just as I saw in the IBTS fan replacement video.

Do you have any idea what I should do next?

Have you cleaned the IBTS Lens and the Chaff Filter? If the IBTS Lens is dirty, it’ll also cause the Bullet to overheat. If the Chaff Filter appears black, the mesh is covered with oil, and the airflow is obstructed. This will cause the hot air mixed with oil and chaff to be blown back to the Control Housing, causing multiple errors including ErC 0004. Please also make sure the ventilation setup is adequate, as shown below:

You can also find out more about ventilation in the User Manual (pg. 21 - pg. 24):

1 Like

Error popped up for me “randomly” today. I had a “hearty” roasting day yesterday so after reading the threads figured build-up was a good candidate for the error - took off the face plate and cleaned it up along with the IBTS sensor, slapped it back on, cranked it back up, and roasting again :muscle:

Hello, I just bought a bullet, ive been using it for a week and I was roasting this morning and error 0004 showed up, Power went to 0. this happened twice while roasting this morning.
I also roasted some coffee at night and after 3 batches the error 0004 showed up again. I dont know what to do or what to check in my bullet, if anyone can help me please let me know.

Owners Manual

First off you’ll need a copy of the Owners Manual (the link above). If you go thru the table of contents you’ll find a section on Error Messages. That identifies ErC 0004 as an issue with the cooling fan for the IBTS sensor. The heart of the IBTS is the infrared sensor.

There’s a fan inside the Control Panel (where the alphanumeric display and control buttons are located) which moves air past the IR sensor and into the drum area. That air movement keeps chaff & smoke from contaminating the surface of the IR sensor and keeps the sensor from heating during a roast. It’s not uncommon for a new roaster to have an issue with that fan (shipping vibration/shock is usually the culprit). Things like a cable coming loose during shipping (least likely) or (more likely) the fan blades contacting the rubber mounting surface. That can be corrected by removing (and cleaning if necessary) then reinstalling the fan. You have to be assured the fan blade turns freely. Any contact at all with the rubber mounting surface will be enough to stop the rotation and produce ErC 0004.

There’s also the least likely possibility that the rubber view port (the passageway) between the IR sensor and the drum has become blocked, possibly with chaff. It’s ‘least likely’ because your roaster is new. A well used roaster, however, will accumulate contaminates from the roasting process.

Also, in case your roaster didn’t come with it installed, consider updating the firmware to the latest version 610. It’s listed as a beta version but I’ve used it for months on my RT4/Win11 installation without issue.

The Aillio web site has a number of helpful documents under the Support tab to help the owner deal with the issues which are most common like maintenance or settings. Keep in mind that cleaning the roaster is a routine part of owning a Bullet… ‘goes with the turf’. Part of that maintenance will be cleaning the “lens” (clear flat glass cover) of the IR sensor. If you roast pretty dark (as I do) that sensor can get dirty even with the IBTS fan moving air constantly.

Bruce

Have you cleaned the chaff filter? It needs to be soaked in cafiza or equivalent to get the oils out so it does not trap the air inside the Bullet.