ErC 1 (IBTS error) woes

So I have recently gotten ErC 1 in the middle of several batches during roasting, seemed to happen around 175C. Did a full clean today, including ibts. Preheat to 285C, ready to charge, and now it’s coming in and out of ErC 1 (it beeps for 70-80 seconds or so) while the ibts is still showing 280-285c. This has never happened in over a year of roasting, and I most always preheat to 285. What the heck?

I powered down until cool, then took the faceplate off (no visible issues), took the cover off again and cleaned the IBTS. Power on and preheat. Same symptom - Erc 1 just a bit before she said “Charge” at 285c. Is this a hardware failure instead of a maintenance one? I do clean every 4-5 roast session, and deep clean every 4-5 sessions.

1 Like

I can see from the logs that your bean probe is close to 245C which is when the ErC 1 will trigger.
I also see that your bean probe goes higher than the IBTS which indicates that the IBTS is dirty or damaged. Have you tried cleaning it very gently with a Q-tip with a bit of alcohol?
Another thing I saw is that your IGBT temp reaches 98C and the induction stops running for some seconds.

Thanks for replying quickly, Jacob, but I don’t understand your comments.

Here’s the first time it happened:

The error occurred at about 5:33 into the roast. where the bean probe was 175 and the IBTS was 167. I didn’t notice for a minute that the Bullet went to P0, which explains why the bean probe ended up registering higher than the IBTS. The bean probe didn’t get above 217c in the whole roast.

I did clean it with alcohol - twice - and now I’m getting the ErC 1 during preheat, which seems odd.

Ok, so next step will be to cool down the main control board to prevent an IGBT error (which might have been the root cause). Will report back.

1 Like

I checked your profile, and at about 5:33 as you mentioned, the induction board reaches 98C and shuts down. The power setting will show P0.
I also checked some of your earlier profiles and those also showed the overheating. Have you recently moved the roaster or has it gotten hotter where you roast?
It helps to create a lot of airflow underneath the bullet so it can easier get rid of the heat.
You should be able to restart the power after 10-15seconds if it cuts out,. You can monitor the IGBT temps in RT in the information panel.
Another thing to try is the newer firmware 606, which could help.
One thing I don’t understand is why you are not getting an error and why RT is not reporting an error when it shuts down. If you can try the newer FW and report back that would be helpful.

I did purchase and try a small USB fan… didn’t make any difference (perhaps too low CFM). I needed to install an earlier version of Roastime in order up upgrade to beta 606, and coincidentally (yah, I know, only change one variable at a time, but I was desperate) used a portable A/C unit to reduce room temp to around 26.5, and that resolved the issue; 5 B2B roasts with no error. I am now waiting for another hot day(28+) to try without the A/C.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

@jimmybulletroaster the USB fan resolved the issue for me on those very hot days, in combo with the portable A/C unit to keep the room temp below 26.5C / 80F.

1 Like

Ok, thanks! I’ll try that out.

this was helpful. Thank you