Ethiopia Longberry Deep Blue Harrar

Has anyone roasted this bean before? I got some from CBC and roasted some today. What baffled me is the uneven bean color in the same batch.

pulled quite a lot of the lighter ones out (sorry lighting for photo wasn’t great). I’m puzzled by this. This was last of 4 batches today. The other 3 (different beans) were consistent. It almost looked like I did melange roast or something… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I have the same results with the wet processed organic Chiapas I buy from CBC. I’ve concluded it’s a mix of at least 2 varieties being harvested from multiple farms in the co-op and all processed together. Ends up a blend even though no one at the co-op 'fesses up. I see a similar color variation which I used to pick thru. I finally decided they weren’t quakers- just a variation from the blend. I found no difference in taste just leaving the color variation. Of course the usual proviso applies… YMMV. :slight_smile:

Bruce

1 Like

That’s interesting… one of my batches today was an organic Chiapas bought from CBC also but I didn’t have this issue with that batch.

I stopped picking thru the longberry after taking about 20 beans out…

1 Like

I’m in the middle of a 25lb order of this harrar from CBC and I get about that amount of “uneven-ness” no matter what also. Seems to be a tough one to crack. I’ve done a lot of experimenting between higher and lower charge temps and higher vs lower fan speeds to try and improve the consistency but I think after probably 15 roasts it’s less me and more this particular lot.

Thanks for replying @davidsargentcoffee that you have similar experience… so not just me :slight_smile:

I’ve noted this same all-over-the-map color variation with all the various Yemeni coffees I’ve roasted (four or five, so far).

I’ve attributed it to little attention being paid to sorting the beans or perhaps mixing of batches from various farms with different harvest times. [shrug]

-Gray