Ethiopia Shantawene Fruit Roast

Hi All!

I am looking to crowd source tips for roasting a “light-fruity” Ethiopia Shantawene roast. I have experimented with 500g Preheat(250c)
IBTS (203c)

My question among many is:

• what settings have worked for folks trying to achieve fruity light roast on ethiopia? I struggle with initial settings as I only have experience on the Behmor.

This one was on last year’s batch of Shantawene and tasted very fruity:

Or you could try this one which has worked well as a light roast for several beans:

Both of those were done starting with a cold machine, exactly 15 minute preheat, 325g batches. Maybe try exactly like that, then if you like the cup work on scaling up the profile to larger batches?

Hope this helps. Please post your results!

1 Like

Jumping in because what you posted is really interesting. Any tips on scaling up for batch that you typically follow? Like X amount of preheat per 100g of batch size or P+ per 100g?

I know nothing beats trial and error just wondering if there is a general strategy that gives you a good place to start.

My transition from 500g batches to 1kg has been a little shaky but it’s mostly me getting over excited on the fan buttons near the end which I’m working on stopping.

1 Like

Roast World - Cup, grade, and analyze your coffee roasts in depthScreenshot (3)|690x387

Ok so i tried it but one thing I found myself increasing fan to f4 when i noticed the ROR was not decreasing closer to 6min like your chart. I think it also has higher dev 36% because i was trying to get to that same time. I guess I will have to try this again also cup it. The beans look less splotchy then my other batches but could be because its past city+. Thoughts?

Here is how they look

[closest to the bottom] is your recommendation of Shantawene

Sorry but I don’t have much experience with larger batches. The few I’ve tried have only been slightly larger. I use overlay, and modify power intervals as needed to match the IBTS temperature curves. Since this 325g batch is already using P8, there isn’t much extra power available before a pretty different approach is needed. Hoping others here will guide us.

I didn’t see this roast on Roast.World so it’s difficult to compare with mine. If you downloaded mine, can you overlay the two and post the screenshot?

Seems like the initial BT was different, and for some reason your roast was too hot early. So you got a large RoR spike and hit FC too soon. Did you do the cold machine + 15:00 preheat, or maybe back-to-back with a warm roaster?

I have a v2 machine and am running with calibrated fan settings.

The cooling effect of F4 on the RoR is clear. You need to get down to P4 before FC like I did to control the RoR spike. Then you won’t be so tempted to use F4.

Beans actually look pretty good, and your drop temperature and weight loss look good too. How did the beans smell in the pan? Strawberry? That roast might be good in the cup in spite of the curve. Give it about 6 days rest?

Hope this bunch of blather is at least amusing, if not helpful.

welp i definitely am still learning to “overlay” as i didn’t realize i can take yours and overlay with my current roast. Also n00b question but how do i share my “saved roast”?

You’re spot on I did do back to back roast [3x500g] in fact so that definitely was the reason my initial BT was different :. For preheat, I usually wait for it to tell me its ‘charged’ at the setting I’ve applied. Ok I will cup it! Thanks Brad- this is helpful! Also why 6 day rest?

Oops I didn’t notice you posted the link. Got it. Here is the overlay, with mine in the background:

Now you can clearly see your IBTS temperature started above mine. When you get it right, you should be able to get those blue curves to overlay perfectly within a few pixels. If they start to waiver during the roast you can extend one of the power intervals by 15 or 30 seconds to bring them back together. Then you’re fine tuning.

The preheat regimen is really important. Some people do a throw-away roast first just to get the machine fully preheated, then run several back-to-back roasts in a reproducible way. But if you want to reproduce what I did you need to start with a cold machine and charge at 15:00.

I’ve found that some light roasts need a long rest for flavors to mature. I keep the beans in a container with a one-way valve during that time.

1 Like

Thx Brad- I will definitely trial and error a few times. My thought is to stick with 500-1000g batches. Having this as a base in my back pocket would be good to try on. For DTR I’ve been referencing Scott Rao’s Roaster Companion, he mentions that the lighter one roast the higher your ROR should be and the lower your DTR closer to fc. I wonder if 36% DTR in this case taste diff than say the 20-25% range most folks try?

Right, my guess would be that the shortened mid-phase and early FC would lead to reduced sweetness and increased bitterness. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised before, and although I am a disciple of Rao it certainly isn’t the only way to roast. Fingers crossed for your roast, please post how it comes out.

Please also post what you learn about scaling up to larger batches. I think the sweet spot for our roasters is probably much larger than 325g.

1 Like

Alright! Overall they aren’t too far off from each other though I found the aftertaste of your approach sweeter. All of them had the jasmine/black tea notes mentioned from the producer but no melon. My favorite was in between batch 2 & 3 because of the floral/sweet taste. I think I can get this sweeter - aiming for the “melon”!

Batch 1 8:31 preheat @ 250 19% DTR; 203.2 IBTS

Batch 2 9:34 preheat @ 240 22% DTR; 203.4 IBTS

Batch 3 [your recc minus the cool machine part] preheat @ 210 36% DTR; 211 IBTS