External ventilation options

Noticed your question about roasting fumes indoors vs the garage. I have a setup (in my basement) that basically uses the same principles that many use in this thread. I also have experience with inside the house roasting that was vented with other roasters before Aillio.

All roasters that I’ve used (even when vented out a window in the kitchen) still leave some “roasting odor” inside the home if done that way. That doesn’t bother some, but can be a concern for others. My wife’s health problems can’t tolerate any of those roasting fumes in the home. So, roasting in the basement (vented outdoors) is the only way that I can do it safely for her.

Is the maximum (realistic) smoke temperature of the R1 documented somewhere?

I see that some of these inline fans (e.g. the infinity cloud line) have a maximum operating temperature of ~ 140F. That seems really low. OTOH, the smoke is going to cool while it moves away from the roaster.

Same concern for duct material and any inline air filter.

1 Like

I can’t make a recommendation based upon specs or measured exhaust temp, but I use a Cloudline in-line exhaust fan preceded by about 4 feet of 4" dia. drier exhaust hose and followed by another 5 feet to the wall vent. No issues so far.

One user here installed a filter in the exhaust line before the in-line fan… he said he had a problem with the in-line fan becoming packed with oil. The washable filter collects some or all of the oily exhaust. He used the same white ScotchBrite mesh that is used in the cooling tray.

Make sure you provide a means for make-up air to compensate for the air being pumped out of the roasting space to the outdoors. Without that make-up air the airflow won’t exhaust from the room and some or most will end up recirculating.

Bruce

ps- I can put my hand in the exhaust stream as it exits the Bullet without any uncomfortable temps, but then I use a pretty low pre-heat temp. Some folks here use very high pre-heat- I have no idea what they experience at the roaster exhaust… ??

I’m about to set up an exhaust similar to this to improve upon using the 3D printed adapter and flex hose. Can you tell me about that cow bell shaped piece? Looks like a good shape to capture all of the smoke.
thanks

marc

That looks like a rectangular-to-circular transition piece for heating/ventilation ducts. Something like this. (Amazon is prob not the place to look for it, but it was easy)

Bruce

1 Like

I put this on the Facebook page, but I realize some here don’t follow that. Here’s my setup. Standard 4 inch ducting with a S4. The Bullet sits on an epoxied bean lazy susan countertop for easy access to the back of the Bullet.

7 Likes

Wow, A+ work! Love the bean chute & matching faceplate screws. What’s the story behind the red finish? Paint, powder coat, …?

2 Likes

Yes, powder coated. I wanted to give it a little personality :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Puts to shame the mere walnut stained tryer handle on my “customized” machine :slight_smile:

The handle is on the list!

What, can you do the powder coating yourself? I thought that required some specialized equipment (which maybe you’ve got).

just a basic home setup…

I use a large cardboard box with a box fan taped to it with a furnace filter to catch the excess. I have a small powder coating oven also… or large toaster oven can be used. Just don’t let the wife catch you using the home oven!

4 Likes

Absolutely excellent. Your counter top teaches what I should have done with all of those beans from seven seasoning roasts. Hat’s off!

1 Like

Well done!! I think this pretty much claims the Hero Badge for roasting setup.

3 Likes

You must be a frustrated tinknocker doing that ! :grinning: You could use more strait pipe instead of flex, and it will improve airflow.

Harbor Freight has cheap powder coating equipment.

No frustration here. I had a backup plan to replace the flex with straight to reduce friction loss if necessary. It works very nicely and pushes plenty of air :slight_smile:

I had the same concerns when I was looking for a fan. Most of them are specified for 60°C only which seems too less for roaster‘s smoke. Does anybody has experience with smoke temperature?

1 Like

Hi. Your setup looks really cool and efficient! I just got my bullet and now attempting to build an exhaust system. However I’m stuck on how to position the duct hose like yours. I see that it’s connected to a vertical plastic tube. Is this tube screwed onto your table with a bracket?
Cheers,
Shimon

1 Like

I am installing an Infinity and have 2 questions. The last piece that you have over the Bullet has a wide opening and reduces down to the ducting. I have looked all over for something like that and can’t find it. What did you use? Do you have a link to where you got it. I have spent way too much time looking for something.

Question #2. You split the suction . One duct going to the Bullet. Where does the end of the y lead that is not hooked up to the Bullet? And what is its purpose?