Hearing first crack…how do YOU do it?

Another voice to add: Scott Rao (article here on his website). In this article, he noted “Some roasting machines make hearing the cracks nearly impossible, but even when hearing the cracks is easy, knowing exactly when to mark the beginning of first crack can be debatable or subjective.” He goes on to make notes on ROR curves via Cropster, but the general logic is similar: after the curve settles down, look for drops and jumps.

and I’m sure she’s happier now :grin:

1 Like

Funny how that works out!! :rofl:

I’ve been using a stethoscope with a cork that fits the trier and a copper pipe attached to thru the cork to the tubing. Works fine…with the exception that I occasionally miss the A-02 warning. To solve this (btw, when will the warning show up on the computer screen?), I only plug in one ear to listen. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Yes I am all for consistant behavior in what is communicated through the apps. Roasting only using the app it took me a long time and some help to find out that you need to react on the display to all the different are you still alive warnings during the roast. Also warnings early on if the roaster check for whatever it checks for when starting up fails, would also be nice communicated in rt.

1 Like