Hearing first crack…how do YOU do it?

Hearing first crack: rough poll…how do you listen for first crack?

Take a look at this old thread

you can always just do a search of the forums to see what comes up. There is a ton of information here.

1 Like

I use a portable PA system that I got off Amazon.

i remove the trier and push the microphone in that hole.

i took a piece of silicone tubing and tapered the end with an Exacto knife.

The speaker part of it:

Edit: I have hearing loss from working in machine shops for many years and there are some frequencies that I cannot hear. Without the ampifier, I could never hear second crack.

1 Like

I don’t find it so difficult to hear on the Aillio, really. In the past, when using the Gene Café, I used a cardboard cone from a wool mill (500g cones). A very sturdy material with a slightly conical shape. Later, I found an obstetric stethoscope at a thrift market, which turned out to be an absolutely brilliant sound conductor (not surprisingly) and much easier to position.

1 Like

I have hearing aids and I turn them up! :sunglasses: :nerd_face: I’d still love to hear some more hacks! My wife has old stethoscopes… I’m watching the readout and the bean probe shows me impending first crack. Still…

You can get a good estimate of 1st crack when you can’t head it by observing the increase of chafe visible in the window. Not perfect but a good work-around.

1 Like

I like the visual clues–watching the bean probe ROR, chaff, and knowing roughly the IBTS or bean temp range for first crack. Great ideas so far!

1 Like

Also, it is worth noting that there will be a dip in RoR as FC begins, or rather as enough beans begin to crack (so a little bit into FC), followed by a change in smell from the trier. That said, I still prefer to use my ears.
The dip is mostly noticeable if you look at both probes together (and still very tiny).

1 Like

I can hear first crack even though my hearing is not great. What helps most is to eliminate or reduce background noise.

2 Likes

I will visit the Aillio booth at the SCA EXPO in Chicago this weekend. I’ll pose the question to their experts there and report on it.

Have a good time @lochbuie. I met the Aillio team, Thompson Owen (of Sweet Maria) and @bradm at the Boston one a couple years back just as things are opening after Covid (we had to show proof of negative test at the time). It was interesting to see all the various vendors.

3 Likes

Awesome! We won the Coffee Shrub free passes but had to “pass” because we had already registered !! Looking forward to connecting with sweetmarias and coffeeshrub team: I get all of my green coffee from them!

1 Like

I usually wait until my IBTS is at ~370F. My first crack is usually around 390F

Hello, personally I have noticed that not all my coffees sound so strong with the first crack. I am very attentive, almost putting my ear close when I start to reach 198 degrees Celsius on the IBTS, and I avoid external noises as much as possible. I suppose it’s the heat intensity I give them at the beginning of the roasts, maybe the preheating or the density/moisture of my green beans influences it. I hope my comment is helpful to you.

IMHO, the bean does play a role. Some beans I’ve roasted really crackles at FC and others not so much.

3 Likes

Turn D to 8 around 180 as 9 is too noisy. Let a couple go then mark. Watch RoR for hints of a rise too as that foreshadows 1C. My roasts hit 1C usually around 185C.

1 Like

Did I miss it above? Several years ago I went to a COSTCO with a Hearing Center. I was shocked to find I had sufficient hearing loss to warrant hearing aids. I bought a pair and now, with normal hearing thanks to my hearing aids I can hear 1Cs just fine. 5 years later I got tested again and learned I needed a ‘tune up’… the tech re-programmed the hearing aids by adjusting the profile. I’m a believer! There’s also a side benefit: I no longer irritate she-who-must-be-obeyed by asking ‘You say something?’ [ Yeah, I was a Rumpole of the Bailey fan in the mid-'70s. ]

ICs is really pretty easy to pick out. 2Cs? Not so much! I have to tilt the bean chute plug to pick that out of the bean-crashing noise in the drum. Of course most here don’t have to deal with 2Cs.

Bruce

2 Likes

Me Too :laughing: !!!

This is an interesting hack! I tried it yesterday and it did help! I had to drop to D4 to get things quiet, but I only did it for a few seconds. I think we all agree that we know when to get sensitive to first crack–the bean probe ROR, the bean temp range–but even the Bullet rep at the SCAEXPO was stumped.

I turn my aids “up” to increase the detected volume, but the noise of the beans in the drum gets louder also!