How to Playback - the order is confusing and fussy

ok, i’m still missing the simplest thing. I’ve found a roast in roast world community. successfully saved it, but it’s not in the roast time app. How do we do this?

Nice vid Mark, you may want to add the process of saving a found roast and getting into Roast Time. i can’t figure out how to do this.

1 Like

I think the general recommendation is don’t plug in/start up RT while the Bullet is anything other than OFF mode. I know some people want to kick off manual preheating to “save time” but I’m not sure you are really saving anything, you’re just moving the minutes around and risking an out of sync condition with the USB connection…

And as far as I know, the “charge” announcement condition is driven entirely by the bullet firmware and not by the software RT. As Jacob has suggested, a number of sensors are at work to determine if the charge conditions have been met - I don’t think those are necessarily passed into RT.

1 Like

Hi Scott,
There is no need for a video because it is really quite simple.
In RoastWorld once you have gone to Actions> Save Roast, then go to Roastime and go to Roast History, then click the refresh button on the top right.
That’s it.
Your saved roast should show up. If you have hundreds and can’t find it, just search the exact name, or part of it, in the Search field and you’ll find it. If not, refresh again!

well, not really.
When I go down to my bullet, I plug it in, set preset temp, and start preset.
THEN
I prep the area, which includes routing my ducts, putting up plastic sheeting to prevent cold air from coming in though the window, weighing my beans, getting my wife’s blow-dryer ready for the cooling, setting up laptop, and then looking at past roasts to prep myself, and make sure I want that preheat temp, do I want to playback or overlay a roast or wing it, and if winging it, I’ll write some roast milestones, temps and times where I would like things to happen… by then, “Gloria” has been telling me to charge for 10 minutes… so I don’t have to wait another 15 from that point on!!

But why not set the laptop up first with the bullet and do all the other stuff….

ah, I misunderstood. You said off mode, I took that to mean with the bullet powered off… I suppose I can try that, it would only save a couple of minutes (as I often have to find the laptop, then plug cables, boot it, load Roastime… but worth the two minutes extra if it means Roastime does not lose connectivity!

i think i’m the only person extremely dissappointed with the bullet R1. I don’t find anything user friendly on the gui. I can’t even do something that everyone thinks is easy. It’s not. if i knew this before i dropped 3K, i would have stuck with my behmors.

how do you even adjust the preheat temp? sheesh.

i guess one of my misperceptions is that roasts are portable. i wanted to find roasts on my desktop, then port them to my laptop to roast. nope.

It is possible.

If you find a profile on Roast World that you want to port over to your laptop, click on the little banner on the action icon.

Then when you are on your laptop, and have RoastTime open, syncronize all roasts. and they should appear. Sometimes I have to close RoastTime and re-start it for the saved roasts to show up.

I have RoastTime installed on both my main desktop and my Bullet laptop. That way, I can work on a recipe or do analysis in my office. I sync in my office and then go down to the garage and sync the laptop and I have all of the profiles available.

1 Like

Preheat temp is set on the Bullet control panel itself, not via the RT software. This is from the online manual that can be found here or go to aillio.com, select the “Support” menu and you’ll see the link to this manual on the left.

1 Like

If you are logged in to the same account on your laptop and desktop they will be automatically synchronized.
I would love to hear what is it you find difficult, we have been trying hard to make it user friendly.
Also, I recommend that you first familiarize yourself with the Bullet without concerning yourself with the software. In fact you can just leave it connected to RT and all your roasts will be logged, you don’t have to do anything.

1 Like

Scott, you can hardly blame your tools if you have not read the manual - at least twice.

The gripe I had when I started this post boils down to an issue that is still present, that connectivity can get lost between PC and Bullet when you do not do things in a certain order. I am still hopeful this will be fixed, but in the meantime I will be trying to remember to NOT enter preheat mode manually until I have connected RT when in OFF mode…

I will report back, tx all.

at least twice at a minimum. i figured out how to adjust, playback, and get a nice roast. i think this was my first successful roast on the bullet. what amazes me is how complex some of the roasts get. what’s the secret to find a nice expresso roast? any suggestions?

1 Like

ok. i didn’t have that button. i would emphasize people to upgrade to the most recent roast time software. 3.3 has a lot more than 2.0 did.

2 Likes

I seem to recall Roastime tells you there is an update to the software each and every time there is one…

I didn’t see that, but reading through the forum i picked up on a comment recommending upgrading

1 Like

I’ve started another thread as I have just done a Playback roast when I connected the bullet to roastime while the bullet was in OFF mode, and STILL managed to lose connection between the two… very frustrating.