How to prevent Roastime software updates?

Since updating to v4, RoasTime seems to be updating itself whenever it wants. Since my roasting setup is a production system, I don’t want that kind of random risk to being able to roast. I can’t find an option to disable this, am I just missing it? Maybe I can create a bogus entry in my hosts file? I like having my roast history in the cloud so I would rather not turn off wifi completely.

We aim to release minor updates every two weeks, unless we find a major problem and need to patch this between releases. I am not aware of a way to disable these updates.

It’s a real risk, speaking from experience.
I mention it whenever someone asks me about running a business on a Bullet.

Yeah, this computer is losing Wi-fi access then and I won’t get to use the cloud features so that I can keep my business running. Is it possible to go back to RoasTime 3 maybe? It was kind enough to ask to update.

I just got updates (10/7) and am no longer able to connect to roaster. Have tried both pc and mac.

@bmartin1000 We just did a pretty big release for R2 support. I am happy to jump on a call with you real quick.

Did the update take place? (Can you see the version number in settings?)

@bmartin1000 Had someone else mention the same issue that was live during the update. I had to revert and push the same version twice due to a failed MacOS build. He was back into a good state after 2nd update. That may have caused an issue during update for those that were live when it was pushed. Can you restart after the latest push and make sure the version numbers match up?

FWIW - @here on topic. I actually have a note to talk about re-implementing non-forced updates in our next meeting. We had made the decision to force update everyone because we had so many problems with support tickets for people on different versions in RT3 and wanted to make sure everyone was on the same version for better support.

2 Likes

Looks like it is trying to update again.

@bmartin1000

If that version continues to not show up - please delete the deps directory and restart. I have a feeling you got a corrupted version due to the revert and re-deploy while you were active. It should force download the latest versions again. Sorry again for any inconvenience.

MacOS:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/RoasTime/deps

Windows:

C:\Users\"YOUR USER NAME"\AppData\Roaming\RoasTime\deps

1 Like

That appears to have worked. Thanks for the help.

That worked for me too but as soon as I restarted it did an update and my roaster was disconnected again…

@johngavigl Is the version number not showing in settings? (same issue?)

If so, could you try to delete roastime-comms explicitly in that directory?

It just downloaded again when I restarted, my virus software scanned it and then it worked. My roaster is connected to the laptop again. With the updated files.

Thanks!

1 Like

@californiaroast - Just wanted to apologize for hijacking your post. Initially meant to post just to emphasize your point that there is risk in software updates.

1 Like

You made my point far more effectively than I could!

1 Like

The trick for me was using some third party app removal application to remove everything from Roastime on my Mac and start a new clean installation. Don’t forget to kill every process running in the background eg roastime backend tasks.
Would be great if roastime has some sort of clean uninstall function implemented.

1 Like

I was roasting on a 2012 macbook pro using OS Catalina, and after an update Roast Time could no longer communicate with the Bullet. I had to re-install RT3 which I forgot was much less reliable for my extensive use of programmed recipes but was never able to get RT4 working on my laptop again. So I went a bought a used iMac with a more modern OS, and that worked but I certainly didn’t want to spend the money. Coming from an audio engineering background, these mandatory updates are scary when your business counts on it.

1 Like