IBTS VS Bean On 2 Different Roasters

Me and one of my friends who owns a bullet V2 R1 as well as me. his roaster’s Bean Temp hovers way lower than mine despite when we get the ready to charge pop-up message.

We are roasting in the same room and preheating using the same preheat temp.

Cleaned both roasters, made sure IBTS and bean sensors are cleaned.

When I checked his previous profiles, Bean’s temperature line never cross or goes over IBTS temperature line (normally occurs before 1st crack).

Is this an issue with the IBTS sensor?!

We hear about people with 3 or 4 Bullets, I wonder if they could chime in?

I have had major issues trying to get nice roasts from my machine, and curious if there are just tolerances between machines?

I’d like to hear the most important information, which I haven’t read. Are they both on the same firmware? The firmware may cause such things, maybe even the sowtware if it’s not 100% identical. Beyond that, there might be some difference between the roasters, but not that much as you seem to be saying. Also, the lines won’t cross if it’s not a larger batch. You haven’t mentioned your batch size but, I’m assuming, if you’re expecting the lines to cross, it must be over 850g.

@alghamdi.majid1b1s

This is interesting.

If your firmware revisions are the same, (as @braca19452f9m mentioned)

You could try to make a recipe that uses the Bean Temp as the trigger and run the recipe on both machines and see if the profile and the time is the same.

If they aren’t the same, there may be something in the circuitry that is causing the problem. Perhaps the Bean Temp Probe.

Hello @braca19452f9m

Yes, we are using the very same updated firmware.

About batch size, we tried 700g, and the isuue existed even during the preheat, my roaster reaches 185 C and my friend” barely reach 155 C (30 degrees). And then I asked him to update the latest beta version hoping if the update can fix any issues, but no help, nothing changed.

We waited even for over 30 minutes (10 extra minutes approximately) but couldn’t pass the 155 C degrees.

On order to run the same profile depending on the Bean Temp. He had to go for preheating with 270 while I was preheating. On 235.

We did an experiment using thermal laser gun reader. We preheated the roasters up to 150 C. When charge message popped up, we opened the dropping door and checked the drum’s internal surface temp. Mine was reading 161 and his was reading 130.

Last thing we did, we swapped the wall’s plug. To confirm the issue was not related to the electrical current, nothing changed.

I remember once I suggested to add a feature, using Bean’s sensor for preheating, but @jacob replied to that suggestion saying the IBTS is accurate and reliable.

As billc suggested, there might be some problem in the circuitry. Maybe the induction module isn’t outputting enough power and might need to be replaced. In any case, I suggest to contact support as they will have much more insight into this with logs and whatnot, and are best equipped to figure out exactly what it is that’s causing this. The numbers you have given are an indication that his roaster is at fault. 165 should be OK for 235 PH. I just wanted to add that I’ve never had my lines crossing at 700g batches. Only upwards of 850, as I’ve mentioned. It is especially strange that his don’t cross, since this behaviour would be more likely due to lower PH, rather than a higher one. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, but support will surely locate the problem and find a fix.

It would also be interesting to see if tech support can remotely find any issues with your friend’s roaster. Just to know is this a tolerance thing, or if they have an issue that is remotely detectable?

I suspect the reply from @jacob has to do with comparing roasters which are both operating within standard performance specs. What you describe sounds like one roaster or the other is outside nominal calibration/operating parameters. My own suspicion would be IBTS calibration is different between the 2 roasters since-

• you have tested with an independent IR measurement device (that’s a significant difference)
  • and Preheat is determined by IBTS measurement only. The f/w only uses B-Temp to determine when stability is reached.

Along that line, I’ve seen many roast profiles posted here that have B-Temp crossing I-Temp. So what you saw is not really unique. I had guessed it was a calibration issue with B-Temp but that’s a WAG as it could just as easily be an I-Temp calibration issue.

Bruce

Edit- I also wonder about the view port for the IBTS. A bit of chaff or roasting dust can block some of the IR coming from the drum. Has the IBTS been cleaned to assure no contamination on the IR sensor lens? or “junk” (dust or chaff) inside the rubber viewport?

Dears,

Thanks all for your input, just one last favor, how can we reach tech support!?

Contact Aillio

It’s surprisingly like a secret. Haha.

[email protected]

@marc8851

He has two roasters and seems to note they perform differently. Would be interesting to hear their experience on this.

Interesting tests you did. If I understand correctly then your bean temp difference was about 30C, and also the temperature of the drum when measured with the IR gun was 30C. So that tells me that the drum temp measurement is off.
This can be caused by two things, broken / dirty IBTS or maybe an un-seasoned drum / seasoned differently. The color of the drum has an influence on the temperature reading.
The ultimate test would be to swap the IBTS sensors, but this is a bit of work to do.
I would say that if your roaster’s IBTS crosses the bean probe then that is probably dirty or broken.

There are no changes in the algorithms reading the IBTS, but recent firmware has the exhaust fan running during preheating, so best to be on the same firmware (as you are).

On top of this there is the absolute accuracy of the IBTS which I have shown below. X-axis is the ambient IR temp, Y-axis is the drum / bean temp. This does not account for a 30C difference though.

Hello @jacob

I dought it has anything to do woth bean probe sensor, we used an external IR laser gun assuming as the drum is empty, the IBTS will read the internal drum’s surface temp. on the. Same preheat settings, we tested first third of the internal drum surface and end back of the roasting chamber, the gap was always around 30 degrees.

There is one last test we may do, considering the IBTS reads 30 degrees, we will try to replicate a profile I use on my roaster with the same preheat settings+30 degrees top up, and check if we hit the yellow and the first crack points around the same time using the bean probe.

By the way, before doing all the experiments, we cleaned both roasters including IBTS lenses.

One more point about bean probe temp line goes across up the IBTS, in my opinion thats logical, and should happens, when we reach. To last part of the milard phase, ahead of the first crack, we enter the exothermic phase, the bean the inlet temperature of the roasting chamber increases above and thats reflected on the ROR flick before the first crack. Thats why Bean probe line goes above the IBTS which read s bean”s surface temp

Hi again,
Yeah, the bean probe has nothing to do with this (I don’t think I said that) the problem is the IBTS reading incorrectly.
Looking at your profiles your FC temp is about 20-25C too low, so most likely your IBTS is damaged or dirty.

Here’s a recent Aillio Youtube that discusses how to contact support.

1 Like

“An Update”

We contacted the support, requested my and my friend’s serial numbers. The. Replied the issue with my roaster. The issue with my IBTS is not clean. In my country, we have a group of Aillio Bullet roasters, all of them except of the one who did the experiment with me have the same issue as I do, the bean probe temp goes higher than the IBTS.

we took screenshots for our early roasts and latest roast, the Bean Probe temp goes above the IBTS since the beginning, before the IBTS get dirty.

We are collecting the serial umbers and will raise a warranty claim to replace the IBTS sensor for all of us.

1 Like

@alghamdi.majid1b1s

Glad you found a solution! It now makes sense why your recipes never worked for me! Your recipes were literally sending off plastic burn smells on my roaster just before it auto shut off for over heating.

Hi again.
Just want to make it clear so there are no misunderstandings.
It is normal for the bean probe to cross the IBTS, especially if you have bigger batches and darker roasts, but it should happen late in the roast.
What is not normal is having your IBTS probe read 180C when you have FC. This is about 20C too low.

1 Like