Is the V1x to V2 upgrade worthwhile?

I’ve read the various topics related to the upgrade but they’re mostly about the mechanics of the upgrade. The question I’ve got for folks who’ve done it is, was it worth the expense and the effort. My roaster is a V1.5. I typically roast 907g (aka 2lbs) and have no issues at that weight. Would I see an incremental improvement in roast time or heat control that justifies the upgrade or is that money better spent on beans?

1 Like

Prob not. I did the upgrade cuz I had an unresolved issue from an alarm with no code and power → 0. The replacement power board and control board solved my problem but made zero difference in roasting: same Recipes, same results. I roast 550 gm batches so not putting max demands on the power board. But it sounds like you can get it done with the original design power board so I don’t see any magic coming your way from an upgrade.

Bruce

2 Likes

Thanks, Bruce. That’s about what I expected. I’d be more inclined to take the plunge if they had a higher wattage version (I use a 30 amp outlet) or a 240 volt version certified for the US.

Roger

1 Like

I am asking the same question and coming to mostly the same conclusion.

But being a software guy, I LOVE having the latest version of everything!

2 Likes

Regardless of 110/220V, if you aren’t having issues with the batch size and count for your heaviest roasting sessions, the only real reason to upgrade would be to fix a failure (see above) satisfy an urge to tinker (which is why I upgraded).

I didn’t have my Kill-a-Watt when I did the upgrade unfortunately. I did do control roasts (same bean, preheat temp/time, P/F/D profile, and roughly the same ambient temp/RH) before and after and noticed a significant but hardly life-changing decrease in roast times.

1 Like

Being a former software QA … I DON’T love having the latest version of everything because of bugs :cockroach: :laughing: … that’s just me :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Being a retired cyber security guy I loathe any software version. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

well played, sir!

2 Likes

Fixed

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like