Looking for feedback on roasts after a week of learning

Spent this past week roasting up quite a few batches and trying to really get a feel for the settings and what’s happening. I’ve been trying to stick to everything I’ve read about the slowly decreasing RoR, but I’m not quite sure if that’s the correct thing to do or not. Coffee so far has been very good, very sweet and chocolaty, but maybe a little less bright as compared to my FreshRoast SR800.

Natural from yesterday:

South American blend from yesterday for a dark roast going through a Keurig:

1 Like

Here is my 2 cents
Try to lower the power before FC, maybe 198C to P4
Try to lower the power again after FC around 200C t0 P3

1 Like

Thank you. I’m thinking I need to rely more on power adjustments and less on fan settings. Which is the opposite from the FreshRoast.

Hi Vincent,

I am not an expert but I like your curve very much. One thing I have noticed also in your profile that the yellow point was a bit earlier than mine. I like to identify the dry-out point as a key milestone. Using the color maybe too relative. By carefully watching the B-RoR curve and notice a small bump around 175.7C which I have pointed out in your profile above is where I believe the dry-out point. When at this point, the H2O left in the beans should be 1~2% and most of the beans becoming exothermal reaction.

That’s very interesting, as I’ve been struggling to get the yellowing shorter in hopeful attempts for slightly brighter coffee. If it really is starting much later that would simply the variables I’m currently trying to juggle in my head.

Can you confirm my understanding, as I’m having a hard time comprehending: because the B-ROR shifts upwards you’re saying the coffee is now becoming exothermic and that’s the true yellowing point?

Hi Vincent,
Yellowing …to me is a color. So one’s color can be different than the other person. So I usually try not to use color to decide.
Another point I have different understanding is the way of shortening the yellowing time in order to get a brighter coffee. My understanding is actually the other around. Too short of the yellowing phase led to a dry taste. I often try to control my profile 55% for the yellowing (dry-out), 35% in the middle phase (which I believe is where the majority of the Maillard reaction happens) 10% for the development phase. Again, this is just my kind of light roast. There is no right or wrong.

Thanks Fred, definitely appreciate any feedback.

I never thought of using any other indicators beyond color and smell for the yellowing phase, but I haven’t really been relying on smell lately anyways. I like the idea of the switch from endo to exothermic.

Yes, I agree that too short of a yellowing phase can lead to a dry and sharply acidic coffee. But I was wondering on how to shift it just a few seconds here or there. I’ve thought (thought being the key word) that too long of a roast can lead to flatter coffee as the acidity is being roasted out. But I’m not too sure about that anymore.

I did have one roast where I thought the issue was that I spent too long in the yellowing phase and that led to flatter coffee, but now I’m wondering if I just spent too much time past first crack for that specific coffee or missed the actually beginning of first crack.

Maybe I shouldn’t be too concerned with the time in the yellow phase at this point. Seems to be a lot of other stuff to learn.

The dry-out point may not be seen with other different machine or different softw are. I believe it is Aillio’s specific. In artisan, this is not visible.

Here is a Cropster video with anne cooper and I find it very helpful and informative. Even though she is using totally different machine but the concept is the same.

1 Like