Mac upgrading RT3 to RT4

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I’ve searched and not found a definitive answer.

I’m on a mac, currently running version 3.4.1-rc2. It’s been working fine for me, and I’ve been holding out on RT4 until it gets more mature. I figure it’s about time - I’ve got some time on my hands to deal with installing and learning everything new about it.

I’m not exactly clear on how to do the update. I’ve downloaded the software, but before I actually pull the trigger, I’m wondering:

Should I uninstall RT3 first?
Will RT4 automagically replace the installed RT3?
If I leave RT3 installed, will RT4 run in parallel, and can I go back and forth between them?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Greg

I’m on a Win10 machine. When I upgraded to RT4 (it was pretty much forced upgrade since I roast connected to the Internet) it just upgraded my RT3. However, I later was having some issues and was advised to download the latest image from the website for RT4.x and run that .exe. After the install it then did another update. So far it’s been working for me.

In retrospect I probably would have backed up all my data files and uninstall RT3 then do a fresh install of RT4 and then let it do another update.

Just my 2 cents.

I would definitely back up important directories before upgrading. On MacOS they should be

Library>Application Support> RoasTime
Library>Application Support> roast-time

After that, I would delete those directories completely and then do a fresh install. Your data should sync down and everything works, but if it doesn’t we can help you restore from those backups.

The 2 share some directories with differences, so switching between them is possible, but they will overwrite data between each other and could leave you in an odd state.

Thanks! I’ll let you know how it goes either way.