Need to unplug USB from Roaster after firmware Update

Hey guys, I noticed after upgrading to 616 or perhaps of the RoastTime updates that I had to unplug the usb from the roaster. Unplugging from my macbook didn’t prompt the connection. Before the update if it didn’t connect simply restarting the application would establish the connection. I’m a bit concerned about having to unplugging and replugging in the back of the machine due to wear and tear. Thoughts?

I’m on a Apple Macbook AIr M1, using a braided micro usb to USB C connection.

I wouldn’t worry about that. The only thing you shouldn’t yank in continuation is the power cord. The thing I’d worry about is why would you need to unplug it specifically from there? It should prompt the connection wherever you disconnect it from.

I guess my issue is that I never had to do it that way. Now the only way it connects is if I unplug from the unit.

I wouldn’t know about the why of that particular behaviour, but I will tell you that I’ve plugged and unplugged the USB cable over 100 times by now. Just don’t mess with the power cord and that’s it. If it’s just a thing you have to do when you update the firmware, I wouldn’t worry. It is strange though, because technically you could turn the roaster off and on again, if you have some switch, as we all do, and it should connect. The computer should lose the connection no matter where you unplug it from, or if you power down your roaster. Which version of RoasTime are you using?

@braca19452f9m This is a little bit of a tangent question, could you elaborate on your comment “just don’t mess with the power cord”?

There are people that had problems, and there are threads here that advise on not unplugging the power cord from the roaster side, since it is a bit wobbly. I meant that there is a possibility of damaging something if you yank on the power cord, but not the USB. Just an example…

Power cord meltdown - Taking Care of the Bullet R1 - Roast World Community

1 Like

Thanks. Interesting though. Unfortunately my setup is such that I have to unplug from the roaster side every time I’m done to stow it away. I roast on top of my stove to make use of the range hood vent for venting the smoke, and where I store the roaster afterwards there isn’t enough room to keep it plugged in. I’ll just need to be more careful how I unplug it I suppose. I’ll have to check the next roast session if the cord gets warm - as the other thread pointed it, it should not - I don’t recall it getting warm the last time I roasted.

Yeah, I remember saying that to myself initially. Then, once I’ve read all the posts indicating I shouldn’t, I found that the power cord does not protrude and can be tucked away beneath the roaster without unplugging it. Maybe you have a different situation, but I would suggest at least trying to just put it under. As for the cord itself, it must get warm, but not excessively. The only thing where I’ve always noticed that the cord heats up is my vacuum cleaner. Not just the one, but various. And they are top notch expensive vacuums. It should be said that the cord on them is thinner.

If you must remove the cord, try to pull it straight out with a smoth motion and insert it back in with a straight smooth motion.

Jerking the plug out can bend the electrical connectors and cause them to not have as much connection strength.

When this happens, the spring loaded piece that I marked in red will become loose. When a connection becomes loose the electrical current will increase to maintain ampacity to the device . With a loose connection, more heat is generated at the connection, which will weaken the spring loaded piece even more, which generates more heat, which weakends the connector, which creates more heat…which can eventually lead to an electrical fire.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve noticed the exact same behavior. I’ve never had this issue prior to the update. Don’t know if it’s due to the roaster firmware or Roastime,

I’m using a MacBook Pro M2.

1 Like

I unplug my Bullet every time I am done roasting. The plug is robust enough on the 110V system and I do this with absolutely no concerns. Ive owned mine for 3 years and roast regularly, so pluggged/unplugged hundreds of times. No issues doing so and no concerns for that in the future.

Now the micro USB connector on the rear of control panel is very sketchy. I’ve gone to extra effort to reinforce the hanging cable with heat shrink, spiral cable wrap and keeping my fingers crossed. I don’t touch it if I don’t have too. That’s primarily done when cleaning inside drum and removing drum face.
That micro USB is only a matter of time before it fails. It is a terrible interface connector, IMHO.

As billc described above, it could happen. Also, in the link I posted to another thread, there’s no mention if the person was using a 110V or 220V Bullet. So, in conclusion, I have also unplugged the power cord hundreds of times, just like you, but I fail to see why I should keep doing it. I also fail to see the danger from a USB connector. It’s not the same amount of power that passes through there, and it would take a particularly intricate set of circumstances for it to catch fire. The worst that could happen is that I’d need to grab my soldering iron. But hey, the roaster will still work, even without RoasTime. BTW, that one I also unplugged, but a hundred times more than the power cord, and I keep doing it. But you do your own thing, this is just an explanation as to why I don’t agree. And we don’t necessarily have to agree. This forum really lacks some music…

If you are concerned about unplugging the 110v power cable, get an in-line switch.

I use one of these plugged into a wall receptacle. Bot of these are rated for 15 or more amps

Edit:

Also: if your house electrical system is not properly grounded and your house gets hit by lightning, you can fry every appliance in your house that is plugged in, even if they are not turned on and running. I have seen this happen one time.

1 Like

To follow up on my earlier post, from my roasting this past weekend the cord didn’t get hot or warm in my case. It didn’t feel warm to me when I went to unplug it from the roaster after it cooled down and went into shutdown. I did 5 roasts back to back (3x 1.1kg and 2x 1lb). I’m in the US so running on v110.

1 Like