Official Bullet R1 Bean Deflector / Guard Contest (Deadline 1/16)

Hi Ole, our tool shop made a laser cut after your design. I must say it is genius and works like a charm! Kudos your way :clap:
Now it seems that almost all Bullet owners in Denmark that I know of would like to have it also.

1 Like

Hi Lav

Thank you very much! I am very pleased that so many like the bean reflector. :smiley:
With a collective order, it can even be produced very cheaply.
At least here in Germany the laser cutting of 3 bean reflectors costs only a little more than with one.

1 Like

I would be interested in one here in the U.S. Anyone able to laser cut?

3 Likes

I’d like to modify the step file linked above into an STL for 3d printing.

I have the stl file flat, but I need to figure out how to bend it correctly, working on that now.

1 Like

I used www.sendcutsend.com easy upload, instant pricing and fast turnaround…

That is a great option. I will likely just end up doing that :slight_smile:
The thing I was attempting to do is make it where anyone with a 3d printer can just hit print and be done with it, instead of whipping out their credit card number…

However, the available plastics that 3d printers use may have issues with the bean temps coming out of the chute.

Yes I think most 3D filaments might find the temperature a little deforming after a time. The stainless steel one cost me about $20 and isn’t likely to need replacing…

I wish we had such places in Europe with an easy online service like that…

I sent the step and dxf file to a local sheet metal cutter and they came back with something too small.

Any chance you have this file in a true to size pdf? They said they generally print a pdf and use it as a template for cutting.

I looked at the files and could not see the actual overall sizes for them to use…

You can use the free Autodesk DWG TrueView program (https://www.autodesk.de/products/dwg/viewers#) to print the file to PDF. You may need to install a PDF printer, e.g. https://de.pdf24.org/ . You have to set the scale for printing to 1:1. The holes should then have a diameter of 5.3mm on the paper as indicated.

I have a family member with a few laser machines and printers, including one that can cut magnetic-backed vinyl. Happy to see what she can do with these designs if I am able to get the files.

I know this topic is old, but reading through it’s entirety left me wondering - So, what does, “An espresso kit is on the way!” mean? Was a product created or what was the result from the winners?

Maybe I’m just bad at finding stuff but nothing like that here in Japan either. I’ve been so envious of the US regarding that aspect ever since I started popcorn popper roasting. All the parts/tools/gadgets/info/tips and solutions that popped up during my searches were almost never applicable here and I’ve always had to try different approaches.

@Ole I just used your files to order one from sendcutcend made out of titanium (same price as stainless) Can’t wait to receive it and mount it up.

I feel sort of silly asking, but where are the winning designs and their files?

2 Likes

You have to read up through the comments, a few of them posted links to the files.

User who’s idea wins and get puts into production should be able to name it!

OK. I guess I expected something more formal.

2 Likes

I sent the DXF to sendcutsend.com and they came back with “need more info”:

Please remove duplicate lines, dimensioning lines, and any text in your file . We only need the “cutting path” for your design. We have an explanation of what we need for successful laser-ready files here: Laser Cutting Design Guidelines - SendCutSend"

Unfortunately, doing what they are requesting is beyond my skillset. I am not sure if this thread is still active but if anyone has a successful design that has worked with this shop, I’d appreciate it if they can share it.

This was my first thought too - but the bowl fits so snugly!
Is the paper thin enough that you can still get the bowl in and out easily?