Relax, Don’t Worry, Have a Homebrew by Charlie Papazian

So I totally F’d up. But not.

I have a teeeeeeny tiiiiiiiiny roasting businesss and typically, I roast on Sunday. However, I had a client who needed a roast done earlier than my specified cut off time. No biggie. So I’m trying to be cute and just replay the most recent roast that I had for the bean.

Whoops.

The most recent roast was for 450g. I just dropped 900g. Who has two thumbs and doesn’t notice anything unusual? This guy.

I was shocked how little it actually mattered.

Despite being double the weight, There is basically zero difference in the overlay until the first temp drop. I was pretty shocked. Do I need a 300C preheat and p9 for a 900g batch? This (singular) data point says…maybe not,

I guess the point I’m making it you don’t need to live and die by the technique.

Relax. Don’t worry. Have a coffee.

1 Like

Just being curious, but setting aside the curves, did your milestones match? Going by personal experience, your FC should have happened a minute or two later with the bigger batch size than the smaller one. Going with a higher PH would give similar timing for the milestones like FC and SC, IMHO.

1 Like

They didn’t. But I wasn’t terribly worried considering I was taking it to a rolling second.

I’m inclined to agree with @cash0612 there.

@krame since you’re taking it into a rolling SC that would surely mask any “defect” in the cup :grin: How did it cup though?

Turned out great. Told the customer about the goof ahead of time and they were still quite happy.

Between Morton and Hoos, there’s quite a bit of wiggle room.

1 Like

As long as they are happy it’s all that matters! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am sorry, but the names make me think of Dr. Seuss:
grinch-coffee

1 Like

…did someone other than me just use a gif?! See @blacklabs I’m not the only finely cultured individual around here.