Roast Time 4 - Updates Annoyance

Hi,

First of all - I really like the visual updates of RT4.

But - a few questions, requests and rants:

1. What exactly is the state of RT4 ? Is it still in Beta ?

2. Please, Please, allow us to update voluntarily and even revert back - every time I open RT4 it has an update, some updates break its usability and I cannot revert back.

3. Communicate the changes between updates better. Right now, there’s nothing in the changelog regarding RT4 versions.

4. Apart from UI changes - are there any new features that differentiate it from RT3 ?

5. Where did the keyboard shortcuts for controlling the roast (p/d/f) go ? Also the shortcuts of marking Yellowing / 1st Crack etc. please bring those back :pensive:

Thanks.

3 Likes

Please, Please, allow us to update voluntarily and even revert back - every time I open RT4 it has an update, some updates break its usability and I cannot revert back.

v3.4 is your best hope. It doesn’t autoupdate. It has bugs but you can learn to work around them.
I’ve started restarting the app between batches, I think that helps.

But, still, I experience software problems just about every time I roast.
I expect frustration, and so I roast less often.

Well, I wish someone from aillio would address my questions

Hey @j2k.mail,

Thanks for your feedback. To answer your questions,

1. I will bring this up with the team and give you a more specific answer. I think it’s at the end of the beta and coming to a stable release.
  2. We do not plan to make updates voluntary. Our current setup allows us to deploy fixes as soon as they are verified, test, and fixed. We are doing our best to improve the quality of releases to avoid regression. We apologize for any inconveniences caused.
  3. We plan to release a Changelog.
  4. RT v4 is a complete rewrite of RTv3 that fixes architectural issues. It includes major features like multi-language support, proper KG/LB support, and improvements to recipe creation UX. Also, upcoming features like roast schedules/queues, device registrations, and a few others.
  5. We’ll add P/D/F shortcuts with CMD/CTRL + Arrow Keys in the next release. We’ll also check the yellowing/1st crack shortcuts. Thanks for pointing that out.

Derrick

2 Likes

I HATE this.

Man, I stay offline for this type of reason.

Recently, do to hardware troubleshooting, it was suggested that I update, and now RT is not allowing me to input roast titles and descriptions. It is buggy and annoying. I lost 2 weeks of data. Now I have to roast and test again.

I’ll likely go back to older software, I save the install, if you are on a Mac, I can share it. Maybe someone on Windows is willing to share their old installs too.

Agreed, the RT4 is better visually. During beta I recommended some things that look like they were implemented. We don’t get much thanks for our r/d feedback on this forum. Haha. Ah well, likely coincidence. :wink:

Hopefully, once they get a stable RT4

Would be amazing if they also offered an offline ability to compare 10 or so roasts offline. That way we can keep our machines more stable, but also improve the ease of our own analysis. Right now I have to go to a 3rd party solution.

But using Aillio online increases the risk of instability and forced updates.