Roast tipping

Hello everyone
I can’t understand why every time I had tipping on the beans?
I am very gentle in roast and every time I had a lot of tipping

Thanks for help

Well, as far as I can see, I’d struggle to find explanations other than dirty IBTS. What happens, when it’s not clean, is that it signals lower than actual temperatures. I’d also clean the bean probe once you’re there. I mean, the PH, the power and fan settings you’re using, shouldn’t go that fast. I’d expect FC behind the 10 minute mark. It could also be that the drum is not seasoned appropriately so the IBTS is giving the wrong readings. But, judging from the temperatures reached on your first 10 roasts, It might not be the case. I’ve used about 3KG for seasoning, you seem to have used 4. So, if the IBTS wasn’t cleaned after that, it could give you problems. Other than that, as it is a recent machine, I wouldn’t say the fan is not calibrated, but check that too, just in case.

Thank you
Now I check the ibts and see that it cleaned
And every time at the same temp 190-200 FC is started that can say that the IBTS is good

I think

Ant how I can calibrate the fan?

First check if it’s calibrated. Everything is in the manual, including how to check. If it says that it’s using the calibrated settings, you can check if it’s really calibrated by doing a mock roast. Empty drum, P0 and increment the fan, watching the RPM by clicking on info in RoasTime. You can see the speeds in the manual.

Bullet R1 Manual - Google Docs

Another thing to check is if the airflow has some obstructions. Check the exhaust, check the chaff filter. They should both be clean. The filter more so.

The last thing that comes to mind is extremely dry beans, but you would have to keep them in the open in arid climates to get so far.

If none of this works, you should contact support as they’ll certainly know more.

Thank you a lot

I don’t understand what you say:

The last thing that comes to mind is extremely dry beans, but you would have to keep them in the open in arid climates to get so far.

And maybe I don’t need to be afraid to up the PH temp?

For good ROR and it will be the solution for tipping?

And one more thing

I think because of the induction heating it very hard to avoid tipping?

if i’m not mistaken by tipping means a darker spot on one of the tip of the beans.
apparently, it’s a normal thing, from the information that I’ve been read a long time ago, that’s the weakest spot of the beans because it’s where the germination will start or it’s the side of the coffee berry stem, I don’t really remember. Also there’s some saying that it’s where the steam from the first crack exits, and since it’s the weaker spot, which means less dense, then it’ll probably cooked faster. I’m not sure tho. But from my experience, it depends on the beans process and variety. I’d say more depended on the variety because I had 2 different origins with the same process and roast the same way but one of the origins show a lot of tipping no matter how light you roast. So about tipping, I’d say don’t sweat too much unless it’s scorched or chipped. if you happen to had this, scorched because the drum is too hot, chipped because you roast too fast, too hot and usually it’s almost 2nd crack phase.

Thank you
And you write about tipping

The tipping makes bad taste to the coffee

And when I buy coffee beans from a professional roastery I do not see tipping.

What I mean is that the coffee you put in was stored badly and became extremely dry, but I don’t think that’s the case. I think you should concentrate on airflow, because I think therein lies the problem. Clean your chaff filter regularly.

From Sweet Maria:
It is usually the result of an overheated roast environment (initial drum temperature too high), an overcharged roast drum (too much coffee in the drum), or possibly not enough air movement.

You shouldn’t have to be afraid. Maybe there’s too much heat later on in the roast when, instead of going down, you must recover heat due to low PH.

ROR isn’t really an indicator.

No, but if you feel that way you can always do a heat soak at the beginning. Start with P4 or even lower for the first 30s to 1m, then up the heat. This requires a higher PH.