RoasTime 2.2.0 issue with clicking 1C button

I believe that two different occasions I have seen a bug in the software on Windows. What happens is that when I start roasting and after I click the Yellow button, I can’t click on 1C - the button does nothing. I try clicking other buttons in the UI like end of 1C and it does nothing. The graph is still going, but the marker buttons do nothing.

Note, on both of these occasions i was alt-tabbing between apps (chrome and roasTime) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Here are the roasts:

I have sent this to Matthew to check it. Thanks!

1 Like

Looking at the “Too light of a roast…” chart it appears you accidentally (?) hit the First Crack button at 0:33 seconds into the start of the roast. Since you only get one chance per roast to hit First Crack, that would explain why the button was dead when you tried to hit it later.

In the “first try” chart I see FC at 5:03 and a Drum Temp (apparently Drum Temp is the IRBT reading) of 324°F which is about 70°F-75°F earlier than you should expect First Crack with that sensor. I’ve been fooled several times by the sound of a bean being cracked/crushed as the drum rotates- you may have gotten fooled by that sound. (I’ve heard that sounds less frequently as the drum seasons more).

Then there’s the sound the beans make as they tumble in the drum… really masks the sound of the crack for me making it hard to pick out the sound of the crack. But then I wear hearing aids which can be a PITA for distinguishing subtle sounds.

You are right, I did hit the 1c button to soon on that one roast, does that disable all the other buttons? I thought it would still allow me to hit the other buttons like end of 1c and then 2c?

I wonder if that is the issue, that if you hit 1c too soon it throws roastime way off and disables all other buttons…

You only get to use each button one time per roast- Yellow, First Crack, Second Crack, End Roast. The other event controls (Power, Drum Speed, Fan) can be used multiple times.

1 Like

I think the description I wrote for this thread, and the way I’m describing is throwing you off.

In both of these roasts when this issue happened none of the other buttons would work, I went back and tried first crack button, yellow button, end of first crack, etc.

It’s not that I was trying to hit 1c over and over again, it was that the software stopped responding to any of the buttons.

Does that make sense?

[ I wonder if that is the issue, that if you hit 1c too soon it throws roastime way off and disables all other buttons… ]

No, the Yellow/First/Second events are only recorded and don’t affect roast time.

If you’re referring to the roast being very short, that may be related to the pre-heat temp you’re using… 500°F iirc. The roast time seemed very short compared to what I do, but you may have a profile in mind I haven’t tried.

1 Like

Completely understand that all those buttons only work once per roast. Out of all my other roasts that is exactly how I used it, and how it worked. It was just with these two that the software bug happened.

I completely agree that those buttons should only work once. What happened that I am trying (unsuccessfully) to describe is that after hitting that button once, NONE OF THE OTHER BUTTONS INCLUDING THE NEXT LOGICAL BUTTON would work. I was not trying to mash the 1c button over and over again scratching my head wondering why it didnt work. :slight_smile:

For example on the first try roast :Roast World - Cup, grade, and analyze your coffee roasts in depth

After I hit Yellow button then the 1st crack button, it seems to reason that the next button should have worked after that, but for the rest of the roast they wouldn’t work.

If you look at my panama elida roast you can see that after I hit first crack start, the first crack end button actually did something when you push it. I think that is the main issue with these two roasts, is that when you click first crack end button after clicking first crack start, it does nothing.

[quote=“joshua.armour, post:7, topic:1643”] …
It’s not that I was trying to hit 1c over and over again, it was that the software stopped responding to any of the buttons.

Does that make sense?
[/quote]

Yes it makes sense… I misinterpreted what you wrote. Mea culpa! Which leaves you back where you thought you were: a bug. Iv’e had some odd things happen with some versions of RoasTime but not what you describe,

In the “panama elida,…” roast chart I see YW & FC (vs. FCS) and no FCE. What version of the s/w was the panama roasted on? On my copy of 2.2.1 beta for a roast into Second Crack I see YW, FCS(tart vs. FC), FCE(nd), and SC. Something isn’t the same, apparently, compared to your 2.2.0. Maybe you need to update to 2.2.1 beta… ?? Dunno. Just guessing.

On reflection, my suggestion about updating s/w is a cop-out since you’ve had differing results with the same s/w install.