Roasting High Density Beans

Anyone have any tips on roasting high density beans?

I have no trouble getting a good roast profile on South and Central American beans. But I have a high density Kenyan that is giving me all sorts of trouble when trying to get a nice flat declining ROR.

Appreciate any tips or profiles anyone is willing to share.

Charge at a higher temperature

1 Like

We roast the Monsooned Malabar (India) which is one of the denser coffees. I agree with @andrew5664.Ctgv that a higher charge temp helps.

In our case we use 240C for the Monsooned Malabar or Bababudangiri origin (both of which grow on the Rain side of the mountain), however coffees on the rain shadow side of the mountain - from Chikmagalur - seem to work better with a lower charge temp of 220C.

Also if roasted at a lower temperature the Malabars taste underdeveloped. Maybe you have a similar issue with flavours?

No. Because of the specific processing, Monsooned Malabar is one of, if not the lowest density coffee.

Generally
High density: roast fast with higher end temp, shorter MAI (extend if you’re looking for more body)
Low density: roast slow with lower end temp, longer MAI
I’m going in with a slightly higher charge temp and keeping the gas a little higher, once that exothermic reaction has taken place, the bean takes on heat way more rapidly so make sure your flame reduction prior or during first crack is appropriate to achieve your desired development time (highlight acids or sweetness or both).
Hope that helps
Ben