Roasting natural process coffee on Bullet

Hi,
I have had my bullet for about a week now and am loving it!
I’m just wondering what a good reference point would be for roasting a natural processed coffee on the bullet. I would also love to hear how others roast natural process coffee. :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Nate

Hi Nate -

I’m no expert, but what the heck here’s a couple of ideas:

Natural Ethiopians tend to be small beans that take heat easily. I’ve had some luck starting with quite a bit of heat early, then slowing down during the middle of the roast and dropping below 210 C, like this:

That profile worked really well for me on Happy Mug’s Shantawene bean too.

In contrast, this Natural Guatemala Santa Isabel is a large bean which takes quite a bit of time and heat to develop and works well when roasted darker. This profile worked well:

My machine is a V2 with calibrated fan.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

• Brad
3 Likes

Thanks Brad, Yes it does. How do you think the Ethiopian and Guatemala naturals compare to a Brazil natural? sorry for peppering you with questions :smiley:

I’m guessing a typical Brazil is a large bean that would be more similar to the Guatemala than the Ethiopian. But that’s just a generality, surely there are exceptions.

Oh ok. Yeah I have a Brazil dry process Sitio Cocho Velho sample from Sweet Maria’s. I will have to do some experimenting and let you know how it goes. Thanks again Brad.

Based on these roasting recommendations

that Guatemala Santa Isabel profile might be too hot and quick at the start of the roast for your Brazil. But that profile was on a 325g batch. If you’ve got a bunch of 1lb samples like I received with my machine, that profile might be OK on a 455g batch if you make the power and fan changes at the same temperatures I did, expecting the times to be longer. Should be fun to experiment…

Oh ok. That’s really interesting! Yeah I will definitely have to experiment. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, @bradm here is a roast profile I tried with my Brazil, Sitio Cocho Velho. I was pretty happy with the results. https://roast.world/r/nHnqto8BU3r_3LQHazmY4

1 Like

I brew this as a espresso and it tastes :ok_hand:t2: