RT 3.2.5 Screen Freeze

I had the issue of freezing roasts in RT (both telemetry logging and recipe execution) on EVERY SINGLE ROAST DAY since upgrading to RT 3.3.2 early December.

It continued after upgrading to firmware 591 and happened unpredictably on every roast day - sometimes on the first roast within the first 2minutes, sometimes well into the third roast, sometimes in between. It has been the most frustrating experience during my Bullet journey.

On Saturday I finally managed to have 4 batch-2-batch roasts without problems, here is what I had done (for those also trying to eliminate the problem):

• did a full reboot before roasting (Win 10 64Bit)

• shut down most other active (background) tasks

• changed my RoastTime 3.3.2 configuration by turning off “Global Roasting Info Display: Off” and disablint “RoR Predict: Disabled”.

I hope I can continue using my Bullet now without loosing any more roasts - on the positive side it has really trained my agility to jump to the roaster and step in for manual finishing the roast…

Thank you for the recommendations, paulhedonii. I’m having these same freezing issues as everyone else with 3.3.2. I’ll give it a try with my next roast session this weekend. If I still have issues I may try switching to older version.

I’m curious, has anyone tried running 3.3.0 to see if it fixed the freezing issue as advised by mcaillio?

@don.tomlinson Thank you, I hope you are successful.

Regarding mcaillio’s recommendation to try 3.3.0 from last November above: I believe at that time it simply was the then latest version.

Having finished 6 roasts with the new configuration my RoastTime 3.3.2 just froze today again right at the start of roast number 7 (batch 3 of the day), so there are still issues…

@paulhedonii, I roasted 3 batches this afternoon with no issues following your protocol. It was freezing EVERY time prior to that so this is a big improvement! Something else I did as well was turn off the internet to avoid any data transfers that could disrupt the software. Not sure if that helped or not, but will probably continue that going forward.

@don.tomlinson Great to hear that it worked for you, thank you!

I have also started to cut Internet access during roasting and have meanwhile found a way to go back to Riastime V3.2.3, the last version that worked for me without any issues - it was still sitting in the C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\RoasTime directory with the 3 last versions installed.

What hardware are you using? Could you please check the task manager and see how many resources are being used, both by RT and other apps?

Hi @jacob , thank you for investigating the issues with Roastime 3.3.x - the Bullet is such a beautiful piece of engineering that it deserves to be usable with pleasure :wink:

As mentioned, my issues started after upgrading to RoasTime 3.3.x (including the latest 3.3.2) on Windows 10 64 Bit Professional.

I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad with the following specifications:

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
GPU Integrated Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
RAM| 16,0 GB
SSD Harddrive

When starting RoasTime 3.3.2, it immediately consumes about 25% of CPU ressources, in addition the task Windows Explorer also rises to about 25% CPU - immediately falling back to about 1-2% after closing RoasTime.

I hope that helps in solving the issues - keep on the great work!

That seems rather high. I would think it should be in the 3-5% range, so something is a bit fishy…
If you can try a different version and check usage it would help us.

Hi @jacob,

thank you for investigating - I know testing for multiple platforms is a tough job…

I tried to compare RoasTime 3.3.2 and 3.2.3 today by using both task manager and Resmon monitoring - it seems that both rise up to 20-30% during startup (and according to network traffic probably online synchronization) and that 3.3.2 stays up high for a longer time - at least a minute or so, while 3.2.3 sits happily at 1-2% after a few seconds.

However, I had firewalled 3.2.3 to prevent forced auto-updates, so that might also influence the behaviour.

I hope that helps!

Yes I would not firewall it. Update to the latest version that has a lot of fixes compared to your version.
Also, we will be coming out with a new release soon that should solve some of freezing bugs some people experience.