RT 4.3.2 addition to Color Meter dropdown

I noticed in the latest RT 4.3.2 release v1.38 there is the Color Meter dropdown in the edit roast:

Would be nice if RoastVision (aka EspressoVision) would be included in that drop down since that’s what some of us have (even though unfortunately the guy behind it decided to close shop). TIA.

3 Likes

I’m with @blacklabs . I currently use the equivalence scale of Agtron vs. Espresso Vision but would much prefer using the E-V numbers.

Bruce

1 Like

Me too

I recently built an Arduino rost-meter, so maybe an entry for that or other would be helpful. It’s still a WIP getting it calibrated.

5 Likes

I have a side question on this new feature.

Once I have input the Agtron informations, where does it shows up?

Would be nice to have the result show on the roast profile page with the rest of the informations? Or even in the roast profile list has a selectable information.

:thinking:

2 Likes

Since roast color is the #1 determinant of cup flavor (next to green quality) this information needs to be displayed prominently when looking at and searching for profiles.

I just discovered a major problem with RT4’s Agtron entry. I use Agtron Gourmet, but RT4 will not let me save anything over 95. So I’m back to putting Agtron scores in the comments and titles–not all that useful when I need to search for a profile with a specific end color range. I’ll post this separately so it gets some attention.

2 Likes

Will update this to accept values up to 120. Would that cover your lightest roasts?

Wow this looks like a fun and useful project, looks like I have an unexpected project coming up.

Thanks!

@yakster I just took a look at your GitHub project, while I don’t have the resources to do this myself, this looks like you have managed to reverse engineered the Espresso Vision device! When the EV was available it was going for close to US$300 (I managed to snag one with cosmetic defects that they sold for $100). Nice job and I think it’s great you’re sharing this as an open sourced project! :+1:t4:

This is someone else’s github project, I just followed the directions and built myself one.

It’s a good find!

Thanks for the feedback all. We will either add more options or look into ways to make this more versatile.

@blacklabs I wanted to open this thread, but found out someone already did. It would be nice, since I also use Roast Vision. The problem with low numbers for the Agtron conversion should be fixed too, by using the gourmet scale. The site is still there, but it says out of stock. I bought mine a couple of years ago, but didn’t know they went out of business. Well, it’s a niche market and they were only selling to US customers, although, paying a bit more for shipment + taxes and customs, you could get it to Europe, which is what I have done. All included, I paid about $400. Still half of what the Tonino costs.

1 Like

This is great. Thanks for the tip. If I ever have problems with my Roast Vision, I’ll assemble a new one. The prices are pretty much the same in Europe.

1 Like

I believe that Agtron Gourmet is from 0 to 133 or so, but I suspect 120 would be fine. The highest I’ve roasted is 112. I’ve seen others reporting 115. I think 110 was the highest I’ve measured from Wendelboe’s coffee.

I built this roast-meter and I am in testing mode now.
So far, I like it.

Two things in particular that I like are the internal battery and the algorithm they are using that outputs directly to Agtron values.

This project uses the same electronic hardware that the Espresso Vision used.

I have about $140.00 in it. That includes getting the case printed, all of the electronics and odds and ends hardware. (screws, glass microscope slide for the window)

I ran a comparison for a roasted coffee that I had on hand and it came out within a point or so of what the Espresso Vision would convert to Agtron.

Thanks for sharing the link @yakster

That’s cool!!

Any plans to make and sell these to interested parties by any chance?

Not really.
It was pretty simple.
I used Print a Thing: https://printathing.com/
You upload the STL model files and specify what material (I chose ABS) and they come back with a quote. If you say yes and give them money they outsource (like Uber) to a private party and they print it and ship it. They started printing within 2 hours of receiving the order and they shipped the case and lid 2 days later. $38.01
The print quality was okay, but it is not very polished.
If I were to do it again, I would get this made out of PLA.

The electronics cost $85.00 from Sparkfun
The screws were a little expensive, because you can’t just buy 2 or 4. You need to buy a hundred.
The same for the glass microscope slides.
I also ended up with 60 switches for $6.99 and only needed 1.

If you are going to do the battery option, you need some basic soldering skills to solder 2 wires to the main circuit board and the switch. Small wires (26 gauge) you need a smaller soldering iron or a fine tip.

Loading the code on the SmartFun main Arduino circuit board took a little while to figure out. It would be nice if there was a good step by step tutorial for the Arduino IDE interface software. But like most software of this type: “once you’ve done it once…”

Here is a screen capture of one set of the screws that I ended up ordering from Amazon

And the second set. You will need both

Bless you Bill, I just found the link to the project further up so will study this in more detail. Great post.
THANKS @yakster for sharing