Sample roast for cupping profile

Hi all!

I’m relatively new to roasting on my Bullet V2 about 80 roasts in right now. I use it for work roasting samples from exporters and coops.
However I struggle to create a profile that is standardized for initial cupping. I’ve worked different ones with mixed results, but in general it always seems the profile become a bit too heavy and sweet, and are missing some of the lightness and fruitiness that I taste when I cup the same coffees in origins.

Does anyone have any experience with a killer sample profile that is light and ideel for cupping? Maybe a higher preheat temp than 220? or a shorter roast?

I’ve put a pic of the type of roast I currently do for a 350g sample.

Thanks
/Ras

1 Like

Hi Ras -

For 325g I decided that F4 was washing out some of the subtle flavors, so I’ve been using only F2-F3. Maybe try eliminating the increase to F4 in your profile? You’ll probably then need another power reduction late in the roast…

I really hope this helps. Please post your assessment of this idea if you try it.

Cheers,

• Brad
1 Like

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the tip. I would not have thought of that myself. I’ll give it a try and post the result.

No more than 1:10 development time for Ethiopian bean. Sometimes it has to keep it within 40 seconds for 500g ~ 700g batch. That is my personal taste. You can shorten development time to 1min or 1:10 to give it a try.

This is the one you roasted that I believe it will shine!

Another input, if I look at your first roasting chart…the yellowing seems like to bit too early for me. That may not help on the final taste. But if I try to develop a specific profile for a specific bean, I believe that maybe important for me to fine tune the specific profile and cupping different profile to make my final cut.
Here is my 2 cents input using Aillio RoR, there maybe some very valuable info inside…even though it is not smooth like the Artisan…

I can clear see there is a flip/flop on your RoR around IBTS:174C as I circled. This is what believe when the dry out happened. And usually after the dry-out there is a small peak showing on the RoR most of my roasting.

1 Like

Hi Fred,

Thanks for all the imputs. I’ll try and test with the development time. And maybe work on a bit slower dry out phase.
/Ras