Solution For Hearing First Crack

That last bit about the bean deflector… same person he bought the fancy cooling tray with the auger from :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree @ tom29jq. I was aware of the stethoscope idea before I got the amplifier. But I decided I wanted a hands free solution. That cheapy little aluminum speaker in this electronic amplifier device really accentuates the high pitch cracking sound of the beans. Of course all the other sounds as well. As it can overwhelm you with all the amplified sounds, I only turn on the device(or keep the volume very low) to just until I know the 1C is coming. I never go to the 2c. The 1C sound is quite distinctive and noticeable. At least for me .Of course, I would love to see someone figure out a way to “filter” the sound of the crashing beans. Sounds like sleigh bells at Christmas. Ha. tom29jq Thanks for your vote of confidence. I was beginning to wonder if it worked for anyone else but me.

By the way the “lip” or bean deflector came from a guy in Taiwan. You can Email him at [email protected]

2 Likes

@steve.jungers just curious if you remembered what you paid for the bean deflector plus shipping from Taiwan? Right now I have a low tech solution - stick a piece of printer paper to the right side of the cooling bowl when I drop the beans since the rotation of the drum tends to make the beans “fly” right when it drops …but sometimes I forget :smile:

I think it was about $38. But it was shipped with the bean cooler machine. I’m sure the shipping, on just the detector,would be extra. As such, it could be price prohibitive from Taiwan. But you could Email him and find out. He’s a good guy. Just pricey., is all.

Thanks.

thanks @steve.jungers for the idea of the voice amplifier. I bought one from amazon and it is BRILLIANT. Way better than the stethoscope idea mainly because it’s completely hands free and quite reasonably priced. I followed Steve’s suggestion of inserting the microphone in some silicon tubing so it was not touching the metal in the bean testing chute. Works so darned well. Fist crack, which was a strain to hear before is now super clear. Thanks Steve.

1 Like

PS boom box in the background of the last pic is the speaker (bluetooth, although that’s probably not necessary, a simple cable would work fine)

@tom29jq Just wondering which one you bought since the one that @steve.jungers linked to is currently not available on Amazon. While I can hear FC most of the time, it’s SC that is harder to hear when I have the vent hood running full throttle.

I generally over spec my equip e.g. my amplifier is 30w but 15w might be OK (I like to make sure!) and I have a bluetooth model whereas a wired microphone to speaker configuration would probably produce slightly better sound quality but I already have too many cables around my Bullet. So here’s what I bought, bearing in mind I am in Australia so dollars are AUD Portable Speaker with Wireless Bluetooth Microphone Headset Rechargeable PA System for Teachers Amplification Outdoor Activity 30W H5: Portable Speakers: Amazon.com.au

All of which is to say @blacklabs you can probably get a similar item much cheaper and pretty much the same result if you are not a finicky dude (or dudess) like me.

Thanks for the heads up @steve.jungers I’ve ordered the bean deflector but not the cooler cos I am only doing a few roasts per week of around 350g each and think that the cooler would be overkill. Would you agree with that? (Currently I use the inbuilt fan and a wooden spoon to stir for around 60 seconds and it seems to work fine, but I’m really new to this roasting game).

@tom29jq thanks - didn’t know you’re in AU (I am in US) so Amazon app had me switch just so I can read the specs of what you went with. Being able to see the detail spec of the two choices made by you and @steve.jungers will help me decide. I can be a finicky “dudess” on certain techie stuff, being in IT myself :wink:

1 Like

Well, I’ll tell you @tom29jq , that Taiwanese bean cooler is pretty awesome. And It’s a handmade 304 stainless beauty as well. It gets the beans cooled down super-fast, by way of the heavy-duty motor. It’s really a kick to use. It gets every single bean to eject when the cooling is done! The chaff clean-up inside the cooler area is something that you won’t have to do very often as you do with the factory cooler. And when you do its extremely simple and easy. The fact that you don’t have to clean the chaff after every roast, is a huge time saver.Its my favorite thing I like about this machine. I clean the chaff (inside the cooler)after about (10) 800g roasts. The cooler is crazy pricey, I know. But then again, so was the Bullet.

Good to know about your experience with that bean cooler…I’ll have to keep it in mind if/when I get to higher volume roasting :slight_smile:

Thanks for that ringing endorsement @steve.jungers I have asked him for a price and he’s getting back to me in May regarding a price on the cooling tray because the price of some parts are changing apparently. I’ll probably bit the bullet (pun intended) and get one based on your endorsement. Like you say, we have all paid so much for the Bullet (worth every cent) so it’s probably worth the extra to make life that much easier and more stream lined.

US$67 to have it shipped to Australia (ordered this week so price is current). Worth it though, not to have beans jumping around on the desk. And we paid so much for the Bullet, what’s another $67 … and another … and another (does this rabbit hole ever bottom out?!?@#*???)

1 Like

:rofl: I think not :crazy_face:

So USD67 without or with shipping cost right to AU? I am on the east coast of the US so it’s half way around the world from Taiwan. If the cost of the unit is USD67 it’s not a lot (in the grand scheme of what’s already been spent!) but I am more concerned with shipping cost :blush:

with. best email him for a price [email protected]

Thank you for sharing this Steve.

Recently purchased a bullet October 2023 and was searching for a solution to this. Any comments or thoughts now that it’s been nearly two years? How is the microphone holding up?

Works fantastic!! As I am little hard of hearing, the voice amplifier is a very important part of my roasting equipment.
Thanks for asking.