Spitting out green beans

I am new to Aillio Bullet roasting and have roasted only 8 times. The last two was with Roast Time and other roasting were by looking at the display.
On the last roasting(8th), for first 2 minutes or so, the Aillio was spitting green beans from the bottom of the door. I tried to find solutions from the manual, however, I could not find any help on this issue. Previous to the 8th roasting was the same beans as the 8th and was Ethiopian Sidamo 350grams.

This is usually related to the spacing at the front of the drum shaft or possibly as simple as adjusting the front plate position slightly higher.

The spacing is set with shim washers of 2 different thicknesses in place at the front of the drum shaft. You should have spares delivered with your roaster so that you can change a thick shim to something thinner or even remove a thin washer. The adjustment increments need to be very small. Adjust and try. Your roaster will let you know if you get the spacing wrong by letting you hear an awful scraping noise!

Bruce

1 Like

Thank you Bruce…
Yes, I found an extra washer in the tool bag… So if I changed those already installed 2 washers to somewhat thinner continuations the dram would move slightly forward and the space between the door and the dram would became narrower …. Am I right? I didn’t do anything to the roaster before the last roasting, so I think by roasting 7 times before the spitting happened, the dram was settled and the gap became wider…I would try adjusting it tomorrow. Thank you again.

There’s a chance the heating of the drum slightly lengthened the drum shaft. The clearances are very small.

The on line manual (Aillio.com) or the Support tab there will have info on adjusting. The clearances are very tight and controlled only by the washers (shims) and slight changes in the position of the face plate on the front of the roaster. The latter can have a significant effect.

Bruce

Edit- you could well not see the problem with a different variety of greens, i.e. beans that are a slight bit larger would be fine. The tolerances are very close. But there is probably a ‘sweet spot’ where everything works fine. Mmm… till you do a deep cleaning then you’ll get to fuss with it again.

1 Like

Just one thing I’d add on your to do list, other than all the excellent advice you’ve already gotten from bab, is to look behind and see if the pulley is in place. Even though, as I understand, you haven’t yet removed the faceplate, it’s worth a check as it can go out of place at times with certain actions. As for the rest, I think it’s thoroughly covered.

Roaster is dropping green beans into cooling tray - Taking Care of the Bullet R1 / Bullet R1 Cleaning - Roast World Community

BTW, this happened to me once, also at the beginning of my roasting career with the Bullet, but it was just that one roast. Never found out why.