The R2 Question for me is

@jacob

Airflow temps not valuable data?

How is it possible to not provide valuable data? This is coffee roasting no?

I can hit same end temps on IBTS while my airflow temps might be 10degrees different, just depending on how I apply heat. Over the course of a roast that has a massive impact on the beans.

1 Like

Yeah, and we added the capability and people have tried it because we thought it was useful. As it turns out not so much.

@jacob

That sounds a little dismissive. Was there an explanation as to why?

I can understand that the air temperature numbers change with batch size, but within a batch size, the air temps give a very good indication of roast development and energy.

For example, if the room temperature is 10 degrees lower, the IBTS and BP may not show the effect, and the roast might come out a bit lighter, whereas the airflow temps will show this.

Iā€™ve also watched the IBTS and BP rising while the air temps fall.

This all has a noticeable change on the roasts.

1 Like

Just bumping this question to see if there was anything more in depth about why air flow or exhaust temperature wasnā€™t considered relevant?

I am a huge FC detection believer. I just love to visualize my FC on the Roest and depending on how spread out the FC are. I can adjust the starting point of DEV. Very precious with super short DEV and light roasts. :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah!! Iā€™m excited for such a feature. Or they could do it through moisture release :smiley: like the Ikawa

1 Like

Jacob is on vacation, so let me try to answer this question @jimmybulletroaster
From the start, we provided the Bullet R1 with more temperature sensor inputs so that the users could experiment with measuring the exhaust temperature.
We asked for feedback on the usefulness of having such a sensor, but we never got any feedback that it was useful.
You can install a sensor and connect it directly to the control PCB, and you will get the temps in RT. If you want to make this mod, then I can send you a sensor for you to experiment with.

4 Likes

Donā€™t be hard on yourself @billc because all your hack ideas helps the rest of us who canā€™t afford the R2/R2Pro. I just looked at the prices, not in my range. Even the price of the R1v2 now is out of my range - I am glad I managed to snag the R1v2 when SM had it for just under $3k. I wished I had the space to set the Bullet up semi-permanently and the ability to execute your hack with the shop vac - I would be roasting a lot more. That was a beautiful hack that Iā€™m sure folks who do get the R2 will probably still consider :slight_smile:

I suppose of those folks who are truly running a roasting shop or cafe and roasts A LOT every week then the ROI will be better than my case of roasting to sell only to friends (for now).

3 Likes

This would be cool upgrade for my R1ā€¦hopefully not too pricey :wink:

That is the most awesome news Iā€™ve heard all year! Just sent you a direct message.

Any news on when you can ship the sensor? I PMā€™d you.

Exhaust temp was a really great indicator for some recent trouble shooting, and other roasting duties.

Hi Jimmy,
I think you better send your request to [email protected] as Jonas does not read his DMs here.

Ha, just realizing why the email did not go through, I just copy /pasted the email address you sent, but there was a little typo in there. Just sent out another follow up, with the corrected address, and hoping that is correct?

[email protected]

Ok, so the aillio team was gracious enough to send the exhaust temperature probe.

They never included temperature or RoR for the exhaust probe. So it just draws a line on the graph.

So this is perhaps why some people did not see it useful. Of course if there is no number value on the temperature, there is no way to reference things. Especially when weā€™re roasting down to 1 or 2 degree Fahrenheit accuracy.

It is a shame, because it is definitely a useful tool for roasting. Would be great to see it implemented. Especially on a pro model.

1 Like

In. A quick testing of the exhaust probe connected, there was some really interesting stuff even in the short testing I did.

The RoR of the exhaust temperature moves at a different pace from the IBTS and BP, and shows how the roast may be developing.

Seen in the screen crop above, the exhaust temp rises before the IBTS and Bean Probe do.

Shows how the airflow temps can lag or accelerate depending on the roast settings, and have an effect on the roast.

A remarkable roasting tool!

Thanks to the team in making that possible! Incredible.

2 Likes